Acan touching bowerbanki

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can acans touch bowerbankis? I'm looking at some bowerbankis to purchase and haven't as i don't know if they can touch. They look extremely similar. I know enchinatas are very aggressive and can't touch.
PXL_20220803_223642611.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acan lords are now considered micromussas, but I think acan bowerbankis are still acans, which would mean they aren't very closely related. As far as I know, they aren't terribly aggressive, but it's probably best not to have them touching.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan lords are now considered micromussas, but I think acan bowerbankis are still acans, which would mean they aren't very closely related. As far as I know, they aren't terribly aggressive, but it's probably best not to have them touching.
Exactly what I was thinking but if they were both considered acans at one point i wonder if people had them touching lol

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe I've seen some people saying they've put the two together with no problems, but I personally still wouldn't risk it. Not directly against each other, at least, though a couple inches apart is probably fine.

It does help that micro lords are not aggressive at /all/- they'll only sting something that directly touches them. They do pack a decent punch when they get riled up, though. I've got a leptoseris with a bare spot because it fell on a micromussa for a bit and the micromussa, very reasonably, objected.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correct, Acanthastrea lordhowensis is now Micromussa lordhowensis
However, Acanthastrea bowerbanki is now Homophyllia bowerbanki
Yay, more nomenclature changes...

I've had a typical Aussie 'Lord' colony touching a 'Banki' for many months with no aggression whatsoever.

I've also had the same Banki touching a different single polyp Lord and aggression was seen (Lord initially was dominant, but eventually started losing the battle (and flesh) and had to be moved).

So IME it's a bit of a gamble as to whether it'll work or not.

Last edited:

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend it. Generally, for lobophylliids, if they are in the same genus, then they can touch, Micro lords and bowerbankis are in different genera: micromussa and homophyllia, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any thoughts on how far apart to put them? Micro lords seem to be fine with anything that's not literally touching them, and don't mind having zoas against them, but I don't know if Acan bowerbanki are at least reasonably chill.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that I’ve never had any issue with my bower touching the micros/acans.

Lobos are different in my experience and I can’t have either touching the lobos as they will kill the others.

Also, I haven’t had a problem with wilsoni touching Acans/micros.

I will agree with what was stated above that you may find an odd ball that doesn’t play well with others. I find the attack of the meaty lps to be very slow and easily noticed so it’s usually not a problem to separate before damage happens.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that I’ve never had any issue with my bower touching the micros/acans.

Lobos are different in my experience and I can’t have either touching the lobos as they will kill the others.

I will agree with what was stated above that you may find an odd ball that doesn’t play well with others. I find the attack of the meaty lps to be very slow and easily noticed so it’s usually not a problem to separate before damage happens.
If your lobophyllia is very aggressive, it might not actually be a lobo, but an acan pachysepta.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Imma have to try this because i see some beautiful bowerbankis and don't get them because I'm afraid to put them next to my acans

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma have to try this because i see some beautiful bowerbankis and don't get them because I'm afraid to put them next to my acans

This is really one of those 'Your mileage may vary' type of things'. Just watch them closely for a few days and be prepared to move them apart if necessary.

Now the 'Acanthastrea pachyseptas pretending to be Lobos'...that's in a whole different league:

Pachysepta Attacking Ponape BN1_072922.jpg

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really one of those 'Your mileage may vary' type of things'. Just watch them closely for a few days and be prepared to move them apart if necessary.

Now the 'Acanthastrea pachyseptas pretending to be Lobos'...that's in a whole different league:

That thing is ticked

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That war coral hiding there is no slouch either.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That war coral hiding there is no slouch either.

That's a little Outer Space Psammocora frag under whiter light than usual these days that has it's own battles to endure from a Sunset Monti and a Pink Stylocoeniella (luckily it has so far been ignored by the Pachy).

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m quite certain they are lobos but could be mistaken. I think those naming them are mistaken too as they continue to change lol

As long as the other meaty lps around them aren’t in contact it’s fine. They have never attacked from a distance like @Nano sapiens is showing. Only when touching.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m quite certain they are lobos but could be mistaken. I think those naming them are mistaken too as they continue to change lol

As long as the other meaty lps around them aren’t in contact it’s fine. They have never attacked from a distance like @Nano sapiens is showing. Only when touching.
I think they name pachyseptas as acans based on genetic analysis and phylogeny.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back