Acans not doing well (all other coral are thriving)

BiocubeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have had my bio cube 32 for about 4 months, and things are going really well. I have a variety of corals, but am really struggling to keep my acans alive :(. Here are my water parameters:

1650910345600.png

Any thoughts as to why my acans appear to never get swell up? The colors are still vibrant, and I have been trying to spot feed with reef roids. I have two clowns, two orange striped chromes, and two cleaner gobis, and one fire fish, some hermit crabs, a couple of turbo snails, and two tuxedo urchins.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
BiocubeGuy

BiocubeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help, but I somehow suck with acans (and blastos, micromussa...). Plus it doesn't help that my midnight dwarf angel considers them a delicacy.
Thanks for the response! It is so weird when you see everything else thriving. I'm starting to wonder if something in my tank is feasting on them as well.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you feed them?

I hear countless people talking about how feeding is essential for this corals well being, and i can confirm this.
Whenever i go prolonged periods without feeding my acans, they shrivel up

OP
OP
BiocubeGuy

BiocubeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you feed them?

I hear countless people talking about how feeding is essential for this corals well being, and i can confirm this.
Whenever i go prolonged periods without feeding my acans, they shrivel up
I have been spot feeding with reef roids and have seen no changes, unfortunately.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have had my bio cube 32 for about 4 months, and things are going really well. I have a variety of corals, but am really struggling to keep my acans alive :(. Here are my water parameters:

1650910345600.png

Any thoughts as to why my acans appear to never get swell up? The colors are still vibrant, and I have been trying to spot feed with reef roids. I have two clowns, two orange striped chromes, and two cleaner gobis, and one fire fish, some hermit crabs, a couple of turbo snails, and two tuxedo urchins.

Thanks for your help!
0 phosphate could be the issue.

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always look better after a water change. I don’t do water changes too often so in my case I’m thinking a trace element gets low. If you do regular water changes then I would guess the no phosphate like others have said

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also try feeding some bigger stuff to the acans, I mix up mysis, rods food and some algae cubes for the fish and feed that mixture to my acans and nems also, the acans can eat whole pieces of mysis. I have very low nutrients also so I'd say try some bigger food!

OP
OP
BiocubeGuy

BiocubeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always look better after a water change. I don’t do water changes too often so in my case I’m thinking a trace element gets low. If you do regular water changes then I would guess the no phosphate like others have said
Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
BiocubeGuy

BiocubeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also try feeding some bigger stuff to the acans, I mix up mysis, rods food and some algae cubes for the fish and feed that mixture to my acans and nems also, the acans can eat whole pieces of mysis. I have very low nutrients also so I'd say try some bigger food!
I will definitely try. Thanks!

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an acan last week that was not doing well. Like shriveled up and sunked in. I thinned out the dead skeleton from underneath using a dremel and bone cutters. What I found out are worms. Not bristleworms or spaghetti worm. But looks like they were burrowing underneath within the skeleton of the acan. I can see a round cavern where they nestle in made tunnels around. Once I removed them, my acan started opening the next day and getting puffier by the day. It has not receeded since then. So check for pest if your suspecting it

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an acan last week that was not doing well. Like shriveled up and sunked in. I thinned out the dead skeleton from underneath using a dremel and bone cutters. What I found out are worms. Not bristleworms or spaghetti worm. But looks like they were burrowing underneath within the skeleton of the acan. I can see a round cavern where they nestle in made tunnels around. Once I removed them, my acan started opening the next day and getting puffier by the day. It has not receeded since then. So check for pest if your suspecting it
Interesting. How did you get rid of the worms?

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats wild!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%

Back