Acans the 2019 fad???

Will acan lords be the hot coral of 2019?

• YES

Votes: 101 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 283 52.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 154 28.6%

• Total voters

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were reclassified to Micromussa from the Acanthastrea genus a year or two ago.

It's actually been about 3 years now

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/02/05...ro-lordscan-lords-are-now-a-species-of-micro/

When it first happened it was a little strange, but after a few months I got over it and started calling them micromussa. I used to be obsessed with lords. I paid $800 for one of the very first legal Aussie colonies imported to North America back when Australia first started issuing cites. This was back when Indo colonies were still typically $40-60. It was a basic red and white coloured colony but at the time it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro nut!!! If it’s a fad, I’m happier as prices will drop!!
Rock nem I feel are fad’s as they don’t grow and split and have little movement..

Hard to guage a fad with new reefers entering more now, fad or not knowledgeable with all species? Being a LSP there easier to keep..

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're hot for me at least. I spent my time in Tampa last week going to 6 store and picking up a frag of it in 4 of those. I don't know if it's going to take off though unless we see a bunch of new ones come in. If I'm able to keep them then they can't be too difficult to keep, and people seem to have become much more confident in their fragging of it.

I thought for sure the hot coral was going to be Pectinia. I saw it in every YouTuber's videos, but now everyone is sold out. I've only seen colonies of it lately. Doesn't seem like people are talking about it as much as they used to.

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really think it’ll be a fad but still a nice common coral. The high end stick game ( homewrecker, wd,RR) will still be the top spot. I can see chalices picking up a little bit tho.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're hot for me at least. I spent my time in Tampa last week going to 6 store and picking up a frag of it in 4 of those. I don't know if it's going to take off though unless we see a bunch of new ones come in. If I'm able to keep them then they can't be too difficult to keep, and people seem to have become much more confident in their fragging of it.

I thought for sure the hot coral was going to be Pectinia. I saw it in every YouTuber's videos, but now everyone is sold out. I've only seen colonies of it lately. Doesn't seem like people are talking about it as much as they used to.
That's true what you say about Pectinia. I started seeing them, but then they vanished.

I think high end sticks will always be a thing. High end Montis (think Beach Bum and Vino) are getting pretty popular. Chalices making a comeback. Bounce shrooms have waned a little but still up there.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been afraid to add one with a dwarf angel [emoji23].

They are gorgeous though.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last tank I had before starting the hobby again last April was back in 2007 and acans were all the rage. “Nice” ones were stupid expensive. This too will pass. In the mean Time. Who wants to buy my red acans. Only $750 a head :p
73492698-D547-4B21-9EBC-10C80FF51A1C.jpeg

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think they will make a comeback..but from what I have seen the market a bit oversaturated with acans, (and not the ultra grade kind), not the most popular coral .
from working at a lfs, every body wants movement, -
I don't see too many bowerbankii, or Hillae acan,

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite coral by far but doubt it since the are notorious morphers like SPS lights determine how they will look/morph. unless idiots hype them up then yes the will be a fad

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me most acans for sale are fragged up wild colonies. Because of that it’s hard to grow a colony from these 1 head drags and turn around and frag some off for money. IMO that’s why they are not going to be a huge fad. I do think they are right there as some of the best looking corals to be had.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back