OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to Aqua SD and their prices are crazy low! One thing that I have noticed with my Acan which is truly odd and goes against everything people tell me and i read about. I have them placed on the side of a large rock so half gets a little shade and the other gets full light. The power head is in a weird spot that is in between high and medium flow. Once I tested it out and moved them there. I have gotten 2 heads in a little over a month. I also do spot feeding once a week.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for all the info up here. I am going through all the sites today and am noticing a lot of awesome stuff that i would have not seen before!!! So thank you again!! And also @Ron Reefman is right if you are having a successful time with Acans place share what you do to make them happy. The way i do it is odd and when i start adding more i will not be able to do that with many of them.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to Aqua SD and their prices are crazy low! One thing that I have noticed with my Acan which is truly odd and goes against everything people tell me and i read about. I have them placed on the side of a large rock so half gets a little shade and the other gets full light. The power head is in a weird spot that is in between high and medium flow. Once I tested it out and moved them there. I have gotten 2 heads in a little over a month. I also do spot feeding once a week.
I am not experienced enough to be of value with placement, current as I just did what I read. Give them light for photosynthesis of what is living within them and not enough Par to burn them (placement and light), give them current to keep particles off of them but not blast flesh off skeleton, and make them multiply and remain happy by feeding. Sounds like you nailed it if they are multiplying fast.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TVV The way mine are growing is weird... I am interested to see if i can make the others i am going to get happy. The acan i have now that is growing and happy is from a tank that it was dying in. I really like to find corals that are in bad shape or dying and use the little knowledge i have on the corals and save them.

So far i have saved a BTA, Acan, Torch and a Duncan.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TVV The way mine are growing is weird... I am interested to see if i can make the others i am going to get happy. The acan i have now that is growing and happy is from a tank that it was dying in. I really like to find corals that are in bad shape or dying and use the little knowledge i have on the corals and save them.

So far i have saved a BTA, Acan, Torch and a Duncan.
That's cool. I will keep that in mind and ship ailing ones to you! My montra is to buy healthy ones and kill them...lol. I have a struggling ausi gold torch right now, have killed 4 acan frags due to them falling over into sand and not noticing. I also killed a big colony of Zenia by blasting them with Part 2 to increase KH. Lessons learned. I dose into the return pump chamber now and right all corals immediately upright, prioritize placement on rocks to secure them upon arrival. I think my larger snails and emerald crabs push them over in the sand. Gets expensive losing corals.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always interesting getting a dying coral. I had to get rid of my crab... He would ALWAYS push corals that were not glued off... I keep a very small amount of snails in there now. I had 10 and only 3 made the cut to stay in the tank haha. I hate gluing stuff because i never can settle with it staying there. For your ausi gold torch you have to get that right xD that is a expensive coral... You may want to think about getting rid of the crab though.... For me at least he pushes stuff around to much.... Unless you get lucky and it is just the snails doing it, which is easy because buying new snails is cheap and easy. But yeah buying corals that end up dying gets expensive and crappy... That why i am doing my Acan collection SUPER SLOW and gettign cheaper ones till i can trust my self enough to buy the nice expensive ones.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always interesting getting a dying coral. I had to get rid of my crab... He would ALWAYS push corals that were not glued off... I keep a very small amount of snails in there now. I had 10 and only 3 made the cut to stay in the tank haha. I hate gluing stuff because i never can settle with it staying there. For your ausi gold torch you have to get that right xD that is a expensive coral... You may want to think about getting rid of the crab though.... For me at least he pushes stuff around to much.... Unless you get lucky and it is just the snails doing it, which is easy because buying new snails is cheap and easy. But yeah buying corals that end up dying gets expensive and crappy... That why i am doing my Acan collection SUPER SLOW and gettign cheaper ones till i can trust my self enough to buy the nice expensive ones.
My crabs are tiny. The trochus snails are giants. Probably snails but I had a turf algae issue that nothing would get rid of but the crabs and Trochus(s). That **** grows in the dark with 0 phosphates, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates. Picking, crabs and snails getting it down to minimal. Could be the low nutrients hurting the torch along with being upside down in the sand. I was just about to glue him higher to more light and more current with the other super happy indo gold. Oh well... what is xD? The only "parameter" issue I am having is low Kh. My tank is sucking it up. Ca stays at 450 while Kh drops from 8 to 5 dKh within a few days. apprehensive to dump Kh into tank because all I have is Reef fusion part 2 to do it with, no doser. I burnt some zenia and kenya trees blasting them by dumping part 2 in front of the Vortec 40 current. Ooops. Bout to do a water change using Red Sea Pro mixing with of course RODI. reportedly has higher Kh than the LFS saltwater that I was using. The other issue I have is overcrowding. It is like a toss up to decide whether to keep the ones losing the war or get rid of the ones winning. Need more tank real estate! Dipped the torch 2 days ago. No noticeable change yet, crossing fingers.

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m by no means an expert on Acans. I have a Waterbox 20 Cube I have probably 8-10 different Acans in my tank and just ordered more. I have them all over in different places in my tank, some get quite a bit of flow and some get gentle flow all are open thriving and multiplying. I target feed LRS Nano Reef Frenzy twice a week to each colony and try to feed a little to every polyp I can. I also broadcast twice a week alternating between oyster feast and reef roids
I also use 3-4 times per week Coral Nutrition by Red Sea A&B (basically every other day)

My tank info and parameters are as follows:

Light: AI Prime (with setting set with help from one of the super knowledgeable guys @ my LFS) if anyone wants it I’d be glad to send a pic of my lighting schedule.
Eshopps Nano Skimmer
Aqua Mai KPS wave pump
Parameters:
SG: 1.025
PH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm (can get up to 10ppm right before water change)
Alkalinity: 125ppm
Calcium: 430ppm
Magnesium: 1400ppm
Phosphate: 0.01 ppm
Temp is running @ 76-77
I test my water once per week and dose twice weekly with A&B by brightwell along with Trace Elements by Red Sea.
20-25% Water changes are done 2 times per month using premixed salt water from my local LFS.
I got 4 different acans from WWC during Fragtober Fest Live Sale in October of 2018 and all were 2 polyp frags.....they have each grown 4-6 new heads during that time frame. The others I picked up locally. One was a 3 head frag that has grown to an 8 head also purchased in October, and another 3 head frag that has sprouted 4 new baby polyps since being in my tank a couple of months.
Hope this helps!
A0F4BDAC-AE73-47BF-B37C-448AF9CC8B51.jpeg

2F8D798D-A342-41B1-92C0-528BC216EBE9.jpeg

5C87A8B5-253D-4C61-8B52-6DDB8A2FE7EB.jpeg

5A7E0458-7915-4D86-92F7-584E8E93C7D0.jpeg

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of my coral is from ASD. Quality stuff, super clean and top notch packing. Shipping is inexpensive for me being in California. I like to watch for their weekend stock liquidation sales

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m by no means an expert on Acans. I have a Waterbox 20 Cube I have probably 8-10 different Acans in my tank and just ordered more. I have them all over in different places in my tank, some get quite a bit of flow and some get gentle flow all are open thriving and multiplying. I target feed LRS Nano Reef Frenzy twice a week to each colony and try to feed a little to every polyp I can. I also broadcast twice a week alternating between oyster feast and reef roids
I also use 3-4 times per week Coral Nutrition by Red Sea A&B (basically every other day)

My tank info and parameters are as follows:

Light: AI Prime (with setting set with help from one of the super knowledgeable guys @ my LFS) if anyone wants it I’d be glad to send a pic of my lighting schedule.
Eshopps Nano Skimmer
Aqua Mai KPS wave pump
Parameters:
SG: 1.025
PH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm (can get up to 10ppm right before water change)
Alkalinity: 125ppm
Calcium: 430ppm
Magnesium: 1400ppm
Phosphate: 0.01 ppm
Temp is running @ 76-77
I test my water once per week and dose twice weekly with A&B by brightwell along with Trace Elements by Red Sea.
20-25% Water changes are done 2 times per month using premixed salt water from my local LFS.
I got 4 different acans from WWC during Fragtober Fest Live Sale in October of 2018 and all were 2 polyp frags.....they have each grown 4-6 new heads during that time frame. The others I picked up locally. One was a 3 head frag that has grown to an 8 head also purchased in October, and another 3 head frag that has sprouted 4 new baby polyps since being in my tank a couple of months.
Hope this helps!
A0F4BDAC-AE73-47BF-B37C-448AF9CC8B51.jpeg

2F8D798D-A342-41B1-92C0-528BC216EBE9.jpeg

5C87A8B5-253D-4C61-8B52-6DDB8A2FE7EB.jpeg

5A7E0458-7915-4D86-92F7-584E8E93C7D0.jpeg
No dont sell youself short. You are an expert with those results.

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!! But honestly I’m waaaayyy far from expert....I have to give my local lfs credit....they have given me great advice and I’ve followed their recommendations.
I set my tank up in July of 2018 and most everything in my tank was grown from small 2-5 polyp frags and one small 10 polyp colony of Scrambled Eggs Zoas.
I will also mention I run a crab & shrimp free tank CUC is made up of only various Snails...Fish inhabitants are 2 Picasso Perculas, and 2 Assessors (one Yellow and one Randall’s)

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listening and learning from lfs with success makes you an expert. Humbleness is an expertise. Good for you!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really huge colony of green which is spreading and one nearby that is/was sick. Fickle beast they are. I really was into to them, obsessed really, now I’ve moved to zoas and chalices, the later of which is proving challenging

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say @AquaSD Has been great! Although I cant seem to keep Acans. I'm very new but their packaging and Product has been very good.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say @AquaSD Has been great! Although I cant seem to keep Acans. I'm very new but their packaging and Product has been very good.
+1. Majority of my coral is from there, including my acans.

I got this one with 4 massive heads. Finally found a time when it was retracted a bit at night to see how many new ones there were because the originals are so huge
720a88444a848781a3072ff740b13164.jpg
f851c40e1b241ab36a2ba7ca5b83c09b.jpg

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, my Acans come in beautiful from AquaSd . Then they slowly wither away from my care. Cant figure out what im doing wrong. I have read/done all that i know to do. Im thinking i have a water issue. Calcium seems to be good enough. Maybe my Alk is off? I cant test for it just yet.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if ph could be an issue. When I get acans they seem happy for the first month or so then slowly die. All of my parameters have been steady and in range except ph. Ph in my tanks are always kind of low. Averaging from 7.5 - 7.8. I can never get it above 8.

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if ph could be an issue. When I get acans they seem happy for the first month or so then slowly die. All of my parameters have been steady and in range except ph. Ph in my tanks are always kind of low. Averaging from 7.5 - 7.8. I can never get it above 8.

Also my problem. I have a hard time keeping PH in the 8's I thought this too. Its liken7.8 7.9 a lot .

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my problem. I have a hard time keeping PH in the 8's I thought this too. Its liken7.8 7.9 a lot .
I'm in a new apartment complex that's extremely energy efficient so it's locked up tight. Only time I can get decent PH is when the weather is nice and I can open the windows. I've got the BRS CO2 reactor that I set up one time and shot the PH through the roof. Going to try to figure out a way to regulate it and see how that works.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 117 42.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 131 48.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back