Acans

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a new addiction to Acans.... Most of the LFS around me do not have a lot of good options... What is a good online shop that has a good selection of them? I have gone to a few shops but most are very limited or they are they SUPER expensive ones. While i am addicted to them i am can not dish out 150+ on a small frag till i become very knowledgeable about them and making them thrive in my tank.
#reefsquad
#r2rcommunity

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a new addiction to Acans.... Most of the LFS around me do not have a lot of good options... What is a good online shop that has a good selection of them? I have gone to a few shops but most are very limited or they are they SUPER expensive ones. While i am addicted to them i am can not dish out 150+ on a small frag till i become very knowledgeable about them and making them thrive in my tank.
#reefsquad
#r2rcommunity

I sure understand your final comment. I've been very successful with zoas, softies, most lps and sps corals, but acans have always been an issue for me. To the point I don't even own any. I've bought frags and even a couple of good size colonies and they never last long in my tanks. So I gave up rather than research what it is that I needed to do differently in order to keep acans.

Good luck and hopefully others can provide some answers to your concerns.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure understand your final comment. I've been very successful with zoas, softies, most lps and sps corals, but acans have always been an issue for me. To the point I don't even own any. I've bought frags and even a couple of good size colonies and they never last long in my tanks. So I gave up rather than research what it is that I needed to do differently in order to keep acans.

We all have our own kryptonite :) trumpet coral is mine for some reason haha.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel your pain! When I first started back up I had a 30G biocube and could grow any acan I wanted. Switched to a bigger tank, and I cannot keep any acan alive longer then 2 months. Even though they are my favorite coral, I have given up on keeping them.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain! When I first started back up I had a 30G biocube and could grow any acan I wanted. Switched to a bigger tank, and I cannot keep any acan alive longer then 2 months. Even though they are my favorite coral, I have given up on keeping them.

I was hoping somebody would pick up on that part of BellaCoop's very first post. And now you and I share that we are having a similar issue with acans. Is there some parameter that is super important to acans in order to keep them?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping somebody would pick up on that part of the very first post. And now you and somebody else have joined me in having a similar issue with acans.
Yeah it's odd, any other LPS, including Goni's thrive in my system, as well as the few hardier SPS's. The only thing that withers away and dies, is acans. They just slowly recede and eventually die.

EDIT:
The really odd part, other then being more water volume, and more rock(dead dry pukani), absolutely nothing has changed from my biocube to the 80G cube to warrant the change.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and I want somebody to offer BellaCoop some tips so they won't have the kind of issues with acans that I have (I'd say we, but I don't want to put words in your mouth).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most certainly say us! My avatar is my last acan I tried. It lasted almost exactly 2 months to the day.

Trust me I've tried everything. From moving them to more light, less light, part shade, etc. I've tried feeding them every day(never fed my coral in my biocube), to every other day, to once a week. Nothing changes.

It's truly frustrating and almost caused me to toss in the towel. If I can't keep my favorite coral, whats the point of having a tank? But I persevere and have found another favorite(scoly's).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME acans can be fussy and many things in a reef tank that are supposed to be "safe" love the taste of acans. Typically low to medium light, low to medium indirect flow, some nutrients and weekly feedings and stable parameters kept the acans happy.
Unfortunately sometimes it's just not that easy.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a considerable of online shopping and am always on the prowl "computer window shopping". The best I've found is available on Austin Aqua farms. They have bigger colonies than most - save extreme corals. The prices are reasonable for the sizes and variations and don't play black light tricks to enhance the colors. It appears that they above all others specialize in Acans. For small single or 2 to 3 polyp cheaper frags, it is hard to beat AuquaSD or Aquariumdepot. If you win the lottery you might check out Calikid corals or Cornbread on ebay. Really impressive frags but proud of them. I really like what I see on Kush corals also, but have not ordered there yet. Seems things move really fast there not giving much time to "think about the money" Ha Ha. Of course this is just another humble opinion.

Back