Acanthaphyllia Not Eating

bale31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my meat coral a couple months ago. I've been trying to feed them once a week, but the last three weeks it hasn't eaten. It looks healthy, but just won't eat. I sat and kept fish and snails away from it for roughly an hour. Is it possible that it's getting enough food just from the broadcast feeding I'm doing.

This picture is what it looked like after about 60 minutes of waiting for it to eat. What say you all?

20230205_222516.jpg 20230205_222511.jpg

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my meat coral a couple months ago. I've been trying to feed them once a week, but the last three weeks it hasn't eaten. It looks healthy, but just won't eat. I sat and kept fish and snails away from it for roughly an hour. Is it possible that it's getting enough food just from the broadcast feeding I'm doing.

This picture is what it looked like after about 60 minutes of waiting for it to eat. What say you all?

20230205_222516.jpg 20230205_222511.jpg
Looks retracted to me (pokey skeleton edge). I would stop feeding for a bit until you find a spot where it is happy.

What’s your par and flow like down there? Might need to try moving it somewhere with less direct light.

What fish and inverts do you have in the tank? Maybe something is picking at it?

OP
OP
bale31

bale31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on par...I had pulled it from under the rock a bit, but may just need to move it back. How long would you suggest not feeding?

I don't think there should be anything picking at it. I've got a wrasse, chocolate tang, marine beta, clowns, hawk fish, hippo tangs and a damsel. For inverts, I have peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs and snails.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on par...I had pulled it from under the rock a bit, but may just need to move it back. How long would you suggest not feeding?

I don't think there should be anything picking at it. I've got a wrasse, chocolate tang, marine beta, clowns, hawk fish, hippo tangs and a damsel. For inverts, I have peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs and snails.
I would say until it shows signs of opening back up. If it is just sloughing it off, it will probably just be a waste. They do like pretty low and non-linear flow as well and that can cause them to close up in my experience too.

OP
OP
bale31

bale31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say until it shows signs of opening back up. If it is just sloughing it off, it will probably just be a waste. They do like pretty low and non-linear flow as well and that can cause them to close up in my experience too.
So would it almost be better to just put it in a corner that doesn't get much flow?

OP
OP
bale31

bale31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, my guy didn't make it. I think I'll be staying away from them for a while. I'm not sure what i did wrong other than maybe feeding it too much. I saw in a few places that could have been my problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back