Accessing home network for ACIII

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me how to access my home network abroad so I can control my ACIII? I've got an att 2Wire. ATT site mentions accessing your home network from abroad, but when I call tech services, they say it isn't possible (not at all impressed with att tech services for many reasons...). Someone on RC told me they could walk me through it a year and a half ago, but I wasn't able to get in touch with him later on to figure it out. Any ideas?

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is ATT 2wire?
Assuming it is always on DSL or Cable style always on connection:
If you have an router you should be able to forward the port to the ACIII.
ACIII has built in network right, if that is the case:
Setup a DHCP reservation for the ACIII so the IP does not change.
Make sure ACIII is using this IP address.
Setup port forwarding from a webfacing port to the internal port for the ACIII.
Setup DDNS to map your internet IP to a name so in the event that your IP changes you will still be able to access the ACIII -or- request/pay for a static IP address from AT&T.

This is how I am doing my site:
LegoZ's Reef Tank

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response Lego. Let me dig into this and see how far i get (I'm a novice in networking, but should be able to follow it all after I've read it a few times;)).

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LegoZ81,

My ACIII has a static IP from within my home network (198.168 etc.). I signed up for a free DDNS from dyndns.com. I put in the 198.162 addy for the aciii and gave it a name (not the actual, but along the lines of aciii.dyndns-home.com). Under Host Services from dyndns, it lists the host name and under details, it lists the 198.162 addy. I know the ACIII is set up for port 80, but can't find anywhere to change that on any other device.

From the att gateway, my settings show the ACIII device (named as the IP 198.162...), Allowed Applications -->DNS Server (no DDNS available in drop down), Private IP (198.162 for aciii) and Public IP is blank.

I type the url that I named on dyndns into a browser and it has no clue. What am I not doing properly?

TIA

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to make sure the router is forwarding the correct port to your aciii, and your aciii is recording the correct port. Then when give dyndns the ip for your aciii you actually give your ip adress of your router followed by a colon and your forwarded port number, like below

192.168.23.1:80

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, you will just give dyndns your routers ip address, then you will type in your dyndns address followed by a colon and the port...

Aciii.dyndns-home.com:80

Be sure to give the correct ip address, the one it uses to access Internet which can be found using several websites that will show your ip

Last edited:

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct dyndns needs your internet facing IP address:
What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address
after that look up the manual for your router to connect and update your account. Because dyndns expires your account you need to make sure you log in to your account AND manually update your ip address via the router, that or pay for a premium account :what:

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still having issues with this... I've got my router IP updated in dyndns, so I think the issue is with setting up the 2wire properly. I can't figure out how to set the port on the router for the ACIII. Still playing around with it, though. Just feel like an idiot stabbing blindly...

I'm able to access the ACIII through my Aquanotes app on iPhone, and via web browser with the ACIII IP (from home). It's got to be something I am just not understanding on the 2Wire set up... The ACIII on the 2wire gateway shows that it is set up to allow DNS Server.

Under Advanced Settings, the 192.168.1.0 is 'checked' (should I 'check' Configure manually?)

Default DHC Pool is 'checked'.

Public Router Subinterface and Public Proxied Subinterface are both Disabled. Nothing in the Router Address or Subnet Mask, Allow Firewall Open not 'checked', Default DHCP Pool not 'checked' under Public Router Subinterface. Under Public Proxied Subinterface, the Broadband Network info is listed (web facing IP and subnet), but in the Subnet Mask box, there is nothing (and Firewall Open not 'checked', and Default DHCP Pool not 'checked'). Is this where I need to make changes? Still can't find how to set the router to port 80 for the ACIII, though.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can access your home network through dyndns?

In your router did you designate it to forward a port to your Apex ip address? You will do this most likely in the gaming menu of your router, their should be a port forwarding tab or something along those lines. This is where you tell your router go send a specific line of information to a specific ip address.

Also make sure that you manually give the apex it's own static ip address to communicate with the router.

When set up right you can load into a webbrowser your ip address followed by a colon and your chosen port and it will take you to the apex screen, like below

192.763.xx.x:80

I have a bunch of posts on this subject from earlier, you can look at my previous posts and probably find the info you need.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ACIII has a static IP. From my home computer, I can access it by opening a browser and typing in the static (192.168.1.61, etc.) and it loads the basic ACIII page. If I add the :80 for port in the browser search, it can't find the it, so there has to be something with this router that I haven't figured out. I can't find any information within the options that even allows me to assign a port (or anything at all pertaining to ports in general)... I need to call att anyway, so I'll see if they can tell me how to forward a port.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a gaming section in your router? That is where port forwarding usually is, im pretty sure every router has it. When trying the colon thing, you add the colon and port to your router ip address in a web browser, once it is working this way... typing in your aciiis ip address into your browser probably won't work anymore and you will access it through the port all of the time. Or through you dyndns account from anywhere on that has Internet or cellphone service if you surf the web using your phone.

Also, there is probably a dyndns setting in your router to update dyndns everytime your ip address changes, otherwise you will need to download their updater.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into the dyndns updater.

I finally found out how to set a port for the ACIII (did a search-go figure). I was able to set up a user defined setting strictly for the ACIII with port 80. Still getting used to IE 9, but even on my phone, it can't find the address. I'm closer now, just not quite there yet.

My dyndns points to my router addy. I keep checking the IP and it is remaining the same (until I cycle power?- what causes the IP to change?).

My ACIII has a static IP on my home network. It has the port forwarding to port 80. Eventually, I'll get there. I learn best the hard way. I hold several graduate degrees from the School of Hard Knocks;).

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I do appreciate your help:). Even though I'm not figuring it out, I keep coming back to your's and Lego's posts to see what I'm overlooking and find a little something here and there.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure your having issues with the port forwarding so I'll briefly go over it

Login to your aciii to check which port it wants to receive, or set a new one. In this case I think it is 80 you said.

Next log into your router from your webbrowser using your routers (not aciii) inward facing ip. While in your router go to the gaming section or port forwarding section or some section that has port forwarding which may have to be enabled.

You will tell your router to forward your selected port to your aciii at it's ip address. If your not sure which type of port just chose them both. Make sure you have actually turned on this port forward.

After successfully forwarding the port you should power cycle your router and aciii.

After powercycling you can the access your aciii in a webbrowser by typing your routers ip followed by the colon like so

1.234.73.1:47

Or at least something like that, when you have successfully done this you will be able to do the same using aciii.dyndns.org:80

Which is what you would put in aquanotes if you use it or in any webbrowser any where to log in.

And remember your router has two ip addresses and you want to give dyndns your outward facing ip addres. You cam get by googling for an ip finder or download speed tester.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I haven't cycled the power to the router yet... I'll try that tomorrow morning and see if that gets it. I feel like I've got everything set up properly... If that doesn't, I'll try the videos:). Been getting ready for the Memphis swap...

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back