Accidentally overdosed nitrates

CltBadger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So I was in the process of setting up an auto doser for nitrates. Long story short, I took my dogs out and completely forgot the doser was on when I returned. If my math is correct my nitrates will be around 32ppm. Before this accident nitrates were at 2.5ppm.

Would you guys suggest I let the nitrates be consumed over time or should I do a large water change to bring them down asap?

My phospates are at .04 so I'm sure I will have to monitor that closely and possibly dose if they get too low. My tank is mostly sps and a few zoas.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While relatively high nitrates are not unusual in tanks and don't seem to create problems with corals, that's usually a situation where the nitrates rose quite gradually. I think I'd test the nitrate concentration, and if it truly went from 2.5 ppm to 30+ all at once, I'd change 50% of the water (well matched for salinity, temperature and alkalinity) as a precaution.

OP
OP
CltBadger

CltBadger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost certain it's at 32ppm since 200ml were dosed: 2ml per min but I'll check it as soon as I get out of work. Unfortunately I didn't remember it was on until I was at work.

Considering it will be almost 8 hours since the increase of nitrates, would you still suggest a 50% water change? Or will the sudden drop in nitrates after 8 hours cause more harm than good?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still suggest it. That's presuming that the change water is very well matched to your display in salinity, temperature and especially, alkalinity. If you don't have that sort of volume of water available (as you didn't note the size of your tank), and you'd have to use water mismatched in alkalinity (i.e., within 1 dKh of your display tank), then I'd probably just leave it be and monitor things. In any event, please report back on the consequences or lack thereof, as I don't think I've encountered any other post with a similar situation, so the effects are probably unknown of a high inorganic nutrient spike.

OP
OP
CltBadger

CltBadger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a 20% water change on the 12th and a 10% water change yesterday. My nitrates are now at 5ppm. I didn't have any losses and my acros appear to have slightly better coloration, but it could just be in my head. I also had a little algae growth but nothing severe.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back