Accidentally put some different reagents together!

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello like the title says I’m a dipstick and I accidentally squirted the remaining .2 milliliters of the Calcium Salifert reagent into the Alkalinity reagent bottle (about a 1/4 left in the bottle) so my dumb question is will my alkalinity test not work properly now?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. They don’t even recommend using the same syringes for different reagents. Also, you probably watered down your other reagent. As for chemicals mixing, I doubt you can get a clear reading. But you could try and test and see if your new number differs at all from your normal numbers.

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. They don’t even recommend using the same syringes for different reagents. Also, you probably watered down your other reagent. As for chemicals mixing, I doubt you can get a clear reading. But you could try and test and see if your new number differs at all from your normal numbers.
I feel dumb for not thinking about that hahaha well I’ll give it a shot!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I'd say your contaminated bottle is toast.
I take water from my sump in a cup and use my test syringes to remove test water from there.
Last year I squirted the remainder of Ca test reagent into the tank water cup instead of back into the Ca reagent bottle. Then I couldn't figure out why the rest of my tests were skewed.

Sometimes you just need to give yourself a head slap and move on. But it's fun to share ...
Like when I used to forget to plug my ATO pump back in, or I'd use the wrong calculation to mix bulk 2-part and get no results.

Have fun !!

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I'd say your contaminated bottle is toast.
I take water from my sump in a cup and use my test syringes to remove test water from there.
Last year I squirted the remainder of Ca test reagent into the tank water cup instead of back into the Ca reagent bottle. Then I couldn't figure out why the rest of my tests were skewed.

Sometimes you just need to give yourself a head slap and move on. But it's fun to share ...
Like when I used to forget to plug my ATO pump back in, or I'd use the wrong calculation to mix bulk 2-part and get no results.

Have fun !!
Hahaha yeah glad I’m not alone in the blooper reels of the hobby!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back