Accidently put 2 Lunar Wrasse same tank

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 fish coming out of QT and into 2 different tanks. One tank was getting a juvenal Mystery Wrasse and midas blenny. The second tank was getting a juvenal lunar wrasse. All three were in the same QT together. I turned off the lights released the midas blenny and what I thought was the mystery wrasse. Not sure how I grabbed the wrong fish but I released the juvenal lunar wrasse. I released the mistake when I released the actual mystery wrasse into an acclimation box with some live rock in the box for some place to hide. That tank is a more aggressive tank and wanted to make sure the lunar had some time for the other fish to adjust. About an hour later I look in and see a pink head poking out of the rock not a very light green head. I turned the lights on in the first tank and after a while I did see the new lunar wrasse swimming around inspecting the new tank. My existing lunar wrasse is swimming around the new one a lot. My original lunar was a gorgeous dark green then I noticed that he was NOT dark green but very bright BLUE! his entire body went blue. Never seen him not green. He is swimming at the juvenal a lot but he is not attacking or pecking at the small one. But once the juvenal breaks away from him he just lets her go. So I am not too worried. I have seen him get aggressive with the chromis when they tick him off and he is not doing that to the juvenal. I assume that when the juvenal starts to transition, I will need to move one of the two.

I moved the mystery wrasse from my predator tank acclimation box and released into the first tank.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get pictures maybe we can see whether your lunares are currently male, female, or juvenile?

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are out on the tank for the night The male is about 6" long normally looks like this picture, but since I added the juvenal he is bright bight blue, the entire body.
1697336687074.png

This picture is the juvenal when I got her.
1697336835371.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are out on the tank for the night The male is about 6" long normally looks like this picture, but since I added the juvenal he is bright bight blue, the entire body.
1697336687074.png

This picture is the juvenal when I got her.
1697336835371.png
Sounds to me like the male is either being territorial (which you’ll see some nasty behaviour if he is being territorial) or the more likely chance is courtship.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen him get mad and aggressive with other fish like the chromis when they annoy him. My thought was also courting. The female lunar and the mystery wrasse are active and swimming and eating. The male is mostly not bothering the young female this morning. But man the Blue he has turned is so striking.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video that has some good angles of them both. I have seen zero signs of aggression from the male. Onedrive link for anyone that can't play the video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuFrsNevhkfCjoYssbDmERJcqvw0Ww?e=q8ibLI

I am very happy for the new couple. If you had tried to make them mates I would have not expected this outcome. How long have you had Mr. Blue? Congratulations and I hope they spawn routinely for you. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy for the new couple. If you had tried to make them mates I would have not expected this outcome. How long have you had Mr. Blue? Congratulations and I hope they spawn routinely for you. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
This was a complete accident. Lol had Mr blue for 6 months or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back