Acclimating Captive Bred Angels - DT or QT?

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 3 BIOTA captive-bred angels 2 weeks ago - a coral beauty, majestic, and regal (the first around 1.25" now, the other 2 closer to 0.75").

They have been in 8.5x5x5 acclimation boxes in a DT since arriving, and seem to be fine (other than the coral beauty looks somewhat annoyed by his plastic box at this point). There are a copperband, magnificent foxface, juvenile (less than 2") desjardini sailfin and an aptasia eating filefish in the main display. None of them show any aggression at all and other than the filefish, swim together constantly (the copperband was in first so gives every new fish the cold shoulder for about 15 minutes but then forgets what he was so mad about..).

Given how small the angels are, however, I'm reluctant to release them as the others are aggressive eaters and the DT they will go into first is a 5' tank. Looking for thoughts on what's best here:

- Rehome them into their own 20G cube with live rock and a small wavemeker (would do a water change every day or 2)
- leave them in the acclimation boxes, possibly for up to another month I'm guessing given their current size
- release them into the DT and hope for the best (if they go into hiding I'm not sure how I'd get food to them given the complex rockwork I have)

Any advice appreciated!

IMG_6478.jpg IMG_6490.jpg

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would leave them in the boxes until slightly bigger, then move to the 20 to grow out, then move them back over after a few weeks/months.

Moving them right now may be a lot more stress for them since they’re just babies, so giving more time in between may be beneficial.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot depends on the final display size and composition. In my opinion. Your point about aggressive eaters would be the only question in my mind but also a easy problem to solve. For example I recently introduced Biota's captive bred Milletseed Butterflyfish. Similar to your fish it arrived very small. US $0.50 piece if that. I have larger fish that are very fast and aggressive eaters. Pyramid, Zoster butterflies, Gold Lined Rabbit, Pink Squire Anthias, and some Lyretail Damsels. Anyway my point is they zip around anytime something hits the water which would prevent new fish, and small fish, any chance.

My solution was easy. I used an acclimation box like you then released into the display. Why? Well I feed hourly small portions of dry. A mix of TDO x-small (for the new fish), TDO small, PE Mysis, and some other Hikari. This starts at 0830 and ends at 1830. I also feed frozen twice. Again small portions but it is a mix of LRS Reef, LRS Fish, Nano, mysis, brine, prime reef, and an angel blend. I rotate through those of course but the LRS always works.

If they can't handle the flow then I'll put them in my refugium. They can grow out there. Or if they are too small and the other fish are aggressive towards them (my pink squires can be unwelcoming jerks) then they again go into the refugium. Some have to grow out for a couple months (matted filefish).

But to be honest, and this is just how I handle it, is I feed hourly small portions and rotate through frozen twice a day. This way someone will get something regardless of their size. Acclimation box is priceless as is a place to grow them out if you deem it necessary. Always safe bet to error with caution. Especially with that Regal you have. Beautiful fish.

Not angels but the fish I've done this with are all from Biota, direct: Gold Lined Rabbit, Matted Filefish, Radial Filefish, Pink Square Anthias, Milletseed Butterflyfish, Links Goby, Upside Down Goby, Lyretail Damsels

Obviously I love Biota :D

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot depends on the final display size and composition. In my opinion. Your point about aggressive eaters would be the only question in my mind but also a easy problem to solve. For example I recently introduced Biota's captive bred Milletseed Butterflyfish. Similar to your fish it arrived very small. US $0.50 piece if that. I have larger fish that are very fast and aggressive eaters. Pyramid, Zoster butterflies, Gold Lined Rabbit, Pink Squire Anthias, and some Lyretail Damsels. Anyway my point is they zip around anytime something hits the water which would prevent new fish, and small fish, any chance.

My solution was easy. I used an acclimation box like you then released into the display. Why? Well I feed hourly small portions of dry. A mix of TDO x-small (for the new fish), TDO small, PE Mysis, and some other Hikari. This starts at 0830 and ends at 1830. I also feed frozen twice. Again small portions but it is a mix of LRS Reef, LRS Fish, Nano, mysis, brine, prime reef, and an angel blend. I rotate through those of course but the LRS always works.

If they can't handle the flow then I'll put them in my refugium. They can grow out there. Or if they are too small and the other fish are aggressive towards them (my pink squires can be unwelcoming jerks) then they again go into the refugium. Some have to grow out for a couple months (matted filefish).

But to be honest, and this is just how I handle it, is I feed hourly small portions and rotate through frozen twice a day. This way someone will get something regardless of their size. Acclimation box is priceless as is a place to grow them out if you deem it necessary. Always safe bet to error with caution. Especially with that Regal you have. Beautiful fish.

Not angels but the fish I've done this with are all from Biota, direct: Gold Lined Rabbit, Matted Filefish, Radial Filefish, Pink Square Anthias, Milletseed Butterflyfish, Links Goby, Upside Down Goby, Lyretail Damsels

Obviously I love Biota :D
Thank you AR01 - really appreciate the insights. I'm doing 4-5 small feeds a day to each acclimation box but will try some of the foods you suggested. Do you put anything into the acclimation boxes for shelter - PVC pipe, small rock or chaeto?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you AR01 - really appreciate the insights. I'm doing 4-5 small feeds a day to each acclimation box but will try some of the foods you suggested. Do you put anything into the acclimation boxes for shelter - PVC pipe, small rock or chaeto?

I've put a couple 1" PVC elbows. One time I tried to be sneaky and put nori on a piece of rubble then slide it under the door but the fish escaped. Lesson learned on that one.

Honesty in reefing but in my opinion captive bred or raised fish are going to be small and therefore need to be fed. Frequently and variety. Just like a newborn baby or cat or dog. Obviously we focus on aggression, flow, and safety as well.

It really is a neat experience to watch the captive bred/raised fish mature.

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are so small and so expensive that if I get a pair, I will put them in a grow-out system instead of the "usual" DT.

After a couple of weeks in the acclimation boxes I set up a 20G cube with live rock and a Seneye to monitor ammonia and put them in there - they are now happy and healthy in their new home. Given their current rate of growth (despite 5 feedings a day) they could be in there a while!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple of weeks in the acclimation boxes I set up a 20G cube with live rock and a Seneye to monitor ammonia and put them in there - they are now happy and healthy in their new home. Given their current rate of growth (despite 5 feedings a day) they could be in there a while!

Great to hear. You did great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back