Acclimating SPS to lower lighting questions

Alex Cataldo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2020
Messages
311
Reaction score
144
Location
Verona, Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I was wondering how I can acclimate Acropora and SPS corals to a lower lighted tank. My buddy has the coral under 600 par and they would be going into a tank with 250-350 par average. I’m just not sure how to approach this without stressing out the coral too much.
 
Hello everyone, I was wondering how I can acclimate Acropora and SPS corals to a lower lighted tank. My buddy has the coral under 600 par and they would be going into a tank with 250-350 par average. I’m just not sure how to approach this without stressing out the coral too much.
I think it would be fine if everything else is close to the same it may have no effect, this situation had happened many times before getting par measurements became so popular, even wild corals going to a tank would see something similar. I think it would be fine. Something like 250-350 is not under lighting them.
 
Agreed l! You should be OK with Lower PAR. I am starting to collect SPS and most of the frags come from high High Par tanks. I always have my down at lower part of my tank (around 200-250 PAR) for 3-4 week. Then move up to mid-level (about 300-350) for couple weeks (sometimes, frags would stayed at this level for months when I am too busy and they still doing great) Then top of the tank around 450-500 PAR! So far, I haven't lost any frags by doing this.
 
Some my turn brown/gray usually they will come back, but for most they should be ok. Same thing happens in higher light also(bleaching), but I must say putting coral in lower light is far better then putting it in higher light;)
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new