Acclimating SPS to lower lighting questions

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I was wondering how I can acclimate Acropora and SPS corals to a lower lighted tank. My buddy has the coral under 600 par and they would be going into a tank with 250-350 par average. I’m just not sure how to approach this without stressing out the coral too much.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I was wondering how I can acclimate Acropora and SPS corals to a lower lighted tank. My buddy has the coral under 600 par and they would be going into a tank with 250-350 par average. I’m just not sure how to approach this without stressing out the coral too much.
I think it would be fine if everything else is close to the same it may have no effect, this situation had happened many times before getting par measurements became so popular, even wild corals going to a tank would see something similar. I think it would be fine. Something like 250-350 is not under lighting them.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed l! You should be OK with Lower PAR. I am starting to collect SPS and most of the frags come from high High Par tanks. I always have my down at lower part of my tank (around 200-250 PAR) for 3-4 week. Then move up to mid-level (about 300-350) for couple weeks (sometimes, frags would stayed at this level for months when I am too busy and they still doing great) Then top of the tank around 450-500 PAR! So far, I haven't lost any frags by doing this.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some my turn brown/gray usually they will come back, but for most they should be ok. Same thing happens in higher light also(bleaching), but I must say putting coral in lower light is far better then putting it in higher light;)

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back