Acclimation Box… How long?

Readd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Have a Copperband butterfly in an acclimation box that is pretty good sized. I would guess 1 foot long by 6 inch deep and 6 inch tall. I also put a small piece of live rock from display in the box.

I’m getting it to eat food slowly before I release into main tank that has purple tang and flame angel. So far there hasn’t been much agression and have the CBB eating clams from grocery store and mixing in frozen food I have mixed up. It has been in the acclimation box for 4 days now and wondering how long is too long to leave it in there? I would like to make sure it’s going to eat when I release it and have some special CBB feeder coming soon to put its food in.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Have a Copperband butterfly in an acclimation box that is pretty good sized. I would guess 1 foot long by 6 inch deep and 6 inch tall. I also put a small piece of live rock from display in the box.

I’m getting it to eat food slowly before I release into main tank that has purple tang and flame angel. So far there hasn’t been much agression and have the CBB eating clams from grocery store and mixing in frozen food I have mixed up. It has been in the acclimation box for 4 days now and wondering how long is too long to leave it in there? I would like to make sure it’s going to eat when I release it and have some special CBB feeder coming soon to put its food in.
Ive had a fish in a box for two weeks due to the fish having a major attitude. But really however long you feel you need it in there I would say, maybe someone else has another recommendation!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

Get rock out of box as they startle easily and can injure themselves in that small space.
My typical acclimation box containment is 7 days and if due to aggressive fish 14 days

OP
OP
Readd13

Readd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rock out of box as they startle easily and can injure themselves in that small space.
I put the live rock in there to give a barrier between my hand when putting in food and the clam shell. So far seems to be keeping it from getting scared when I put my hand in the box. He’s got enough room for food on one side and sleep on the other side of the rock. It’s a really small piece.

OP
OP
Readd13

Readd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture to show the size of the acclimation box. CBB has been in there for a week now and still only showing feeding activity towards clams mainly.

Attachments

• 17A75120-ADE3-4059-B689-66523729F619.jpeg
    17A75120-ADE3-4059-B689-66523729F619.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 87

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is a picture to show the size of the acclimation box. CBB has been in there for a week now and still only showing feeding activity towards clams mainly.
That works

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Are you still using the acclimation box? Just curious as I also have a CBB in a box that will be joining a purple tang and two spot. 1.5 days so far and I don’t think one resident fish has shown interest yet in the Cbb in the box.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse in the acclimation box (he has been in the box for 4 days). I was thinking I would release him today as nobody is even noticing him in the box. Should I do it in the evening when lights are low or first thing in the morning or just mid day and let everyone get to know each other?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse in the acclimation box (he has been in the box for 4 days). I was thinking I would release him today as nobody is even noticing him in the box. Should I do it in the evening when lights are low or first thing in the morning or just mid day and let everyone get to know each other?
It should be fine during day time since it’s been 4 days. Everyone already has seen him enough but you do want to make sure everyone is fed really well before doing so.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let him loose about an hour before dark. The coral beauty chased him around for a few minutes but the wrasse was much quicker. Everyone seems fine today. He is eating ALOT.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back