Regal angel acclimation

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a captive bred regal angel and currently have him in an acclimation box in my 75g tank. Mainly due to his small size making sure he gets enough to eat. Also got a damselfish in the tank that hates everyone and everything worried about it bothering him. I do have a lamarcks angel around 4 inches but hoping the size difference would mean he would ignore him. Not sure any of my fish know he's in there as he's so small (around an inch). How long would everyone advise keeping him in the box for ?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough one. Regals are really shy until they get comfortable so I would worry about that damsel and other angel harassing him to where he doesnt come out for food given his small size and them being finicky eaters in general

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very shy fish. Doesn't eat well in the beginning. Needs lots of hiding places and a mature tank is best.
Offer as many different foods as you can slowly and in small amounts.
You might get lucky due to his size and he might find something he likes as these fish, as mentioned above are picky.
I would re home the damsel and put the other angel in the acclimation box until the regal has settled down a bit.
Just my opinion.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention he is eating mysis and brine like a pig so far. I feed with all pumps running too so the food gets around the tank for everyone. If I could catch the damsel he would already be gone! Any tips for that ? And my acclimation box is 20cm x 10x 10 I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting the lamarck in there. He is t aggresive to other fish so not as concerned by him though I have read that 2 angels famously don't get on so well

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention he is eating mysis and brine like a pig so far. I feed with all pumps running too so the food gets around the tank for everyone. If I could catch the damsel he would already be gone! Any tips for that ? And my acclimation box is 20cm x 10x 10 I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting the lamarck in there. He is t aggresive to other fish so not as concerned by him though I have read that 2 angels famously don't get on so well
He might be eating well now but they usually stop eating when put to the main tank for a little. If anything messes with him he will most likely hide and refuse to eat and come out which would be the concern with a damsel and the other angel. Its usually recommended the regal go in first before any other aggressive fish. Ive got an oddball, mine is a tank bully but thats not the norm for them.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might be eating well now but they usually stop eating when put to the main tank for a little. If anything messes with him he will most likely hide and refuse to eat and come out which would be the concern with a damsel and the other angel. Its usually recommended the regal go in first before any other aggressive fish. Ive got an oddball, mine is a tank bully but thats not the norm for them.
What do you suggest ? I was originally planning on keeping him in the box for a week would you advise longer or basically no matter how long I keep him in the box it's gonna be a challenge ? He was in with half a dozen fish at the lfs and didn't seem fazed.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest ? I was originally planning on keeping him in the box for a week would you advise longer or basically no matter how long I keep him in the box it's gonna be a challenge ? He was in with half a dozen fish at the lfs and didn't seem fazed.
Its going to be a challenge either way if you cant get the damsel out and you dont want to put the larger angel in the box. Best you could do would probably be to stick to your plan and release him after lights out and spot feed where he goes to hide until he feels he can come out, if he feels he can that is. Depends on how much the other fish mess with him. Mine age after day 2 in QT then when I moved her to the display she didnt eat for a week even with spot feeding. She eventually came out and started to eat. Shes out all the time now, but shes also an adult size and I made sure she was the biggest fish at the time I added her, I worry about the size of yours with the other angel. They either will work it out or they wont, hard to say honestly.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals also LOVE clams on the half shell, if you find he wont eat cause he is scared try putting a clam next to the hidey hole he finds

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my post above.
Other angel in the box no more damsel.
Let other angel out in a week, shouldn't be a problem. Tank will be large enough to hide in.
He'll come out more once comfortable.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys im gonna have another attempt at catching the damsel, and release the regal the weekend after this when I can observe the lamarcks behaviour and catch him if necessary and separate them. I have a sump if it comes to it I would feel better putting him in there temporarily or would there be some benefit to keeping him in the acclimation box ? If I catch the damsel he can go to the depths of hell for all I care lol

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys im gonna have another attempt at catching the damsel, and release the regal the weekend after this when I can observe the lamarcks behaviour and catch him if necessary and separate them. I have a sump if it comes to it I would feel better putting him in there temporarily or would there be some benefit to keeping him in the acclimation box ? If I catch the damsel he can go to the depths of hell for all I care lol
Good plan. :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of damsel out of curiousity?

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of damsel out of curiousity?
Blue, got them with the tank and didn't know much about them. Knowing what I do now wish I never put them in. One is smaller and not a problem the bigger one is a nob

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue, got them with the tank and didn't know much about them. Knowing what I do now wish I never put them in. One is smaller and not a problem the bigger one is a nob
Lol I got sold a “black and gold chromis”. NOT a chromis!! Turns into a big nasty damsel. Lol. Really watch him with your regal. Mine was terrified of my clownfish at first even though they never bothered her and she is way bigger than them. This is mine, her name is Annabelle

Attachments

• IMG_4157.jpeg
    IMG_4157.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4156.jpeg
    IMG_4156.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a change of plan and decided that I was going to release my regal from acclimation next week when I am getting a copperband butterfly. Thought the aggression would be dispersed between the 2 newcomers. Spent the last few days trying to catch the damsel in a nyos fish trap and he was having none of it. Then late last night Roy the regal decided enough was enough and broke free from the acclimation box ! All looked not too bad and he accepted some food I put in front of him. Then this morning I woke to my lamarck angel chasing him around the tank. Managed to lure the lamarck into the fish trap and he is now serving time in refugium jail. Roy was staying up near the surface and floundering around a lot on his side and even upside down. Was very concerned but after returning from work he looks quite a bit better and went crazy eating when I fed the tank just now which has made me feel a lot better. Just wondering how long is the lamarck going to have to spend in time out for this to not happen again ? Or is there no way back for him? I would really like to keep him.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A Mirror has worked for me everytime. I have a Blue Powder Tang and I added a Foxface, then a Reagal Angel and my CopperBand Butterfly. He chased every one until the Mirror then they were forgoten.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every time was different. The first time a couple days but after that just a few hours worked for me. I did notice the Mirror streased the Powder Blue so I took it out sooner.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back