Acclimation of sea urchin?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a sea urchin to my tank as CUC (hair algae and Cyanobacteria). It is being shipped to me... and I am looking for suggestions on the best acclimation process. I don't want any of the water from the shipping bag entering my system. I can't remember if sea urchins can tolerate a few seconds of air as I move him from acclimation water to the tank water?

If the shipping water is 1.025 as my tank is 1.025 can I just move him into the tank? I have researached that some say... get the fish out of the dirty water ASAP... but with an invetebrate what is recommendation?

I have 180 reef - it has been a few years since I added anything to my system...

thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had an issue with longspine or tuxedos being exposed to air. If the salinity is the same between the bags or close enough, I just float.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just float to get the temp matched then toss them in.
With my luck, I've tried this and they died but not before giving my tank flatworms that were living on the urchin. The 5 or 6 I have now were drip acclumulated then picked out of the container into the air and dropped into my tanks.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated all three of my tuxedo urchins with the periodic cups of tank water into bag method - faster generally than a drip but still long enough to give it some time to adjust. Then picked up through the air and into the tank.

All three are still healthy, and I've even moved them between tanks through the open air.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back