Acclimation process

cemmerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a red serpent starfish that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Sounds like he needs a slow drip acclimation of at least 2.5 hours. How are you guys acclimating for this long without loosing to much temperature? Should I just heat the entire house to 80*? My wife might hate me for a day, but will get over it....

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red serpent star, they are hard compared to most starfish. I acclimated for an hour and he was good to go. Never had any issues.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can float him and add and exchange water in the bag. The thing about this invert, and many for that matter, is that they are super sensitive to any chemical change. It's not just about sg or ph, they are even sensitive to changes ca, mag, alk; even nitrates. So want to do a slow exchange to get the parameters adjusted as closely as possible.

Oh, guess I;m too late!

OP
OP
cemmerts

cemmerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. What I did was put him in a pitcher to drip acclimate, then put the pitcher in a 5 gallon bucket that I filled with water and monitored the temp and added warm/cool water ever so slightly to keep the temp constant. It worked pretty well and I didn’t have to adjust much at all.

i could float him, but then can’t drip acclimate.

he got into the tank just fine. He is awesome. I've hand fed him shrimp a couple times and he wraps his arm around my finger and then finds the shrimp and pulls it away. Reminds me of an octopus.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back