OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqauworld is about 20 minutes from my office - leaving now. I added Noopsynche K7 pro II's to my list via edit. Thanks

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally purchased 2 used G4xr30 pro's locally, pick them up tomorrow. Between them, the 2 SB basic fixtures and my 2x24" T5's I should be able to work out a great lighting schedule to keep any coral.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my two new G4XR30'S pros mounted in the center 2/3rds of the tank programmed at 69% of the AB Coral Lab settings for now, left my two SB basics on the lateral edges angled toward the middle of the tank about 20-30 degrees, and the two 24" t5 super blues on as well. Will borrow the light meter asap to see what my par is.

12468.jpeg 12469.jpeg

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I picked up a Copperbanded Butterfly from Reef Gallery 10 days ago - looking good so far. Just finished 10 days of Prazi Pro in my QT , a few days rest then 8 days of meds for Ick, etc. - then to display if looking good and still eating. Picking up some of that Masstick food ASAP. He is picking at Larry's frozen food - not eating as well as when he was first purchased - hopefully thats due to the Prazi Pro. I actually have Atipshia in my QT , I was hoping he would go after them - but not so far. The corals in the tank , including the LEAR frags all looking good so far with the new lights. I actually had to add ALK today as corals are finally healthy enough to update it - yeah.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I just did some adjustments to my tank hopefully my corals respond like yours are starting too. I want more fish but I’m out of room lol good luck that’s a tough fish!

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, one of my favs - I lost 2 in QT on the past few years. This is the first time I had an actual plan = prazi pro and Chloroquine = prazi pro dose one for 5 days , then re-dose, wait another 5 days. Then 25% water change and run skimmer for a few days, then run no skimmer and add Chloroquine for 8 days. Then if fish looks good add to display. We'll see, halfway there.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh ya, testing results and some chemistry from this weekend. Please check me and post if I am figuring this incorrectly.

3/8/20 = ALK in 9 Am = 6.2 DKH a bit low , but it means my corals are growing= yeah!!

Added 3 fluid oz of Soda Ash solution (bulk reef calculator to raise my total systems (185 Gallons) water 1 point of DKH with 2 gallons of RODI to the ATO which was empty and my system was about a full gallon and a half low= 2 inches below my sump mark. So, I new over the next 3-4 hours about my ATO pump ( Tom's aqualifter pump) would slowly replenish the system to the full mark. I typically loose 1- 2.5 gallons per day due to evaporation so I made an educated guess that the ATO would pull the entire contents of the ATO container into my system throughout the day - raising the ALK about 1 point.

Ca+=430
No3= 2-5
PO3= .064

ALK at 9 pm= 7.3 DKH. ATO container empty = good guess.

Added 25 grams of dry Kalkwasser to the ATO container and filled with RODI ( 5 gallons) - accourding to my calculations: if I use 2 gallons of the ATO per day ( evaporation) that puts enough Kalkwasser Rodi solution to increase ALK high enough to be stable at the 7.3 DKH if my corals use up about I point of ALK per day. Back to daily testing to see if my estimates are correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3/9/20 9 PM about 1/2 of ATO container is gone and my Alk tested at 7.3 = YEAH!!

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the local Pittsburgh reef clubs Facebook page where I posted my latest updates on my Copperbanded butterfly with a pic of him in the transition "keeper", go to comments below that pic to read on updates. Just though I would do something different in updating my thread. If anybody following this build thread hates facebook. Just let me know and I will re-post regularly. Testing my Alk has proven I am not using that much = so I backed down to adding the Kalkwasser ( 25g) to every other refill of my ATO 5 gallon container. That seems to be the sweet spot = Alk ranging from 6.8-7.3 over the last week, Ca+ still good at 450- 475.

Last edited:
OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while, so I figured I would do an short update. Since I started calibrating my refractometer on each water change and also slowing down the frequency of my water changes I have been having mild success- not losing hardly any corals and no fish loss at all. The Copperbanded is doing well and starting to eat from the water column and not just from his homemade feeder. The 2-3 coral frags I have lost has been to fish picking up the frag and dropping them behind my rocks ( I have drilled holes in my rock for frags plugs to fit into - apparently not tight enough though) - nice of them to decide which corals they want in their home - NOT. I have been dozing by using 25Mg of Kalk in my auto top off- to keep my calcium and ALk in good ranges for the past 2 -3 months. Each time I have tested ( 2-3 times per week) its fine ( ALk 8.2-8.6, Ca 420-430). My Corals are growing - not at super fast rate, but growing and looking good with decent color and PE. My PO4 is running .06-.09, and my No3 is between 5 and 10.
Have been reading that some people have had issue with some salt from Fritz - specifically the Alk levels. So today I was ready to do a 20 gallon water change and I tested by tanks Alk= 8.4 DKL, then tested my new water mixed a few days ago and that is heated to 78 degrees F, it was 5.1 DKL. So ya - I understand why people are saying what they are saying. So in my 30 gallon mixing station I added 60 ML of Soda Ash liquid mix to raise the Alk to 8.0 - per the BRS calculator. I will retest that water tomorrow before I do the water change.
I hope everyone is doing well as they come out of the Covid19 pandemic situation.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while, so I figured I would do an short update. Since I started calibrating my refractometer on each water change and also slowing down the frequency of my water changes I have been having mild success- not losing hardly any corals and no fish loss at all. The Copperbanded is doing well and starting to eat from the water column and not just from his homemade feeder. The 2-3 coral frags I have lost has been to fish picking up the frag and dropping them behind my rocks ( I have drilled holes in my rock for frags plugs to fit into - apparently not tight enough though) - nice of them to decide which corals they want in their home - NOT. I have been dozing by using 25Mg of Kalk in my auto top off- to keep my calcium and ALk in good ranges for the past 2 -3 months. Each time I have tested ( 2-3 times per week) its fine ( ALk 8.2-8.6, Ca 420-430). My Corals are growing - not at super fast rate, but growing and looking good with decent color and PE. My PO4 is running .06-.09, and my No3 is between 5 and 10.
Have been reading that some people have had issue with some salt from Fritz - specifically the Alk levels. So today I was ready to do a 20 gallon water change and I tested by tanks Alk= 8.4 DKL, then tested my new water mixed a few days ago and that is heated to 78 degrees F, it was 5.1 DKL. So ya - I understand why people are saying what they are saying. So in my 30 gallon mixing station I added 60 ML of Soda Ash liquid mix to raise the Alk to 8.0 - per the BRS calculator. I will retest that water tomorrow before I do the water change.
I hope everyone is doing well as they come out of the Covid19 pandemic situation.
What did the alk test out at? Did it precipitate out the alk while being stored? I have seen mine precipitate while betting stored and heated. I simply just mix it prior to use now.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't do the water change yesterday as planned - had a very weird day on Tuesday and recovered yesterday . New water still in mixing station with heater and pump running.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dawn, missed you yesterday, thought maybe you might stop by to check it out. Your latest video is also nice.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been going well. Will post new pics ASAP.

Current Water parameters tested in tank= 78 degrees, Salinity-=1.025, Alk= 6.7 DKH, Ca = 460, PH= 8.0 . I backed off of water changes and have been doing Kalkwasser in my ATO for the last 9 months now - have been very stable this way with the parameters listed above. DKH is lower now due to needing a water change - has been running 7.2 -7.8.

Tested the new water= Fritz RPO - mixed to 78 degrees and 1.025. Alk- 9.7DKH, PH= 8.2, Ca = 460

So, I think doing a 20 gallon water change with parameters above new water to my 190 total gallons in system wouold be enough of a ALK change to cause stess? Opinions?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things have been going well. Will post new pics ASAP.

Current Water parameters tested in tank= 78 degrees, Salinity-=1.025, Alk= 6.7 DKH, Ca = 460, PH= 8.0 . I backed off of water changes and have been doing Kalkwasser in my ATO for the last 9 months now - have been very stable this way with the parameters listed above. DKH is lower now due to needing a water change - has been running 7.2 -7.8.

Tested the new water= Fritz RPO - mixed to 78 degrees and 1.025. Alk- 9.7DKH, PH= 8.2, Ca = 460

So, I think doing a 20 gallon water change with parameters above new water to my 190 total gallons in system wouold be enough of a ALK change to cause stess? Opinions?
Ted, Its hard to say how much that would raise in your 190 gallons of water volume, but if it was me that’d be a little high for my liking but I’m pretty conservative when changing anything.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did the water change and my PH never changed according to my monitor and the post water change Alk was 7.4 ( about a .7 raise).

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back