Achilles Tang - Ich or Something Else?

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this guy who wasn’t showing any signs of any disease but now has some white on his body and fins very hard to take pictures of. Please let me know what you think!

#f#fishmedic0 @MnFish1

IMG_2018.png
IMG_2017.png IMG_2013.jpeg IMG_2012.jpeg [/HASH]

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hopefully just sand ? short video will help the experts...

baumer1781

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos are a bit rough to see clearly, but are the spots few and far between or does there appear to be a stretched cottonball-like appearance on the fish's side? like hundreds to thousands of smaller dots too?

grab one of these when you get the chance: lens kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say cotton ball more like white spots on the fish and some areas on body it seems more than a small spot maybe he has been scratching but I haven’t seen that behavior yet.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see one spot towards the back of the dorsal fin and two spots below the fin on the body. Are these what you see? Are there more? Really need a photo under white light to be sure.

The spots look a little larger than what I expect with ich. Sometimes, tangs develop mucus spots which are harmless. However, mucus spots remain on the body and not the fins. If over a couple of days more spots appear and if these spots disappear only to return in different areas, ich would be probable.

I assume you have not quarantined the tang?

Do you have a tank you can use for treatment?

Check the link below that describes the QT process in detail.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just got this guy who wasn’t showing any signs of any disease but now has some white on his body and fins very hard to take pictures of. Please let me know what you think!

#f#fishmedic0 @MnFish1

IMG_2018.png
IMG_2017.png IMG_2013.jpeg IMG_2012.jpeg [/HASH]
Preliminarily looks like mucus cones and may be mixed with ich and even a skin irritation which these guys are susceptible to but before acting on a conclusion, please post pics under white light intensity as these pics are too dark in blue to confirm

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preliminarily looks like mucus cones and may be mixed with ich and even a skin irritation which these guys are susceptible to but before acting on a conclusion, please post pics under white light intensity as these pics are too dark in blue to confirm
36103955-2f0c-4354-9824-7457e710d243.jpeg
IMG_2027.jpeg
IMG_2026.jpeg
IMG_2025.jpeg
IMG_2024.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see one spot towards the back of the dorsal fin and two spots below the fin on the body. Are these what you see? Are there more? Really need a photo under white light to be sure.

The spots look a little larger than what I expect with ich. Sometimes, tangs develop mucus spots which are harmless. However, mucus spots remain on the body and not the fins. If over a couple of days more spots appear and if these spots disappear only to return in different areas, ich would be probable.

I assume you have not quarantined the tang?

Do you have a tank you can use for treatment?

Check the link below that describes the QT process in detail.
I started my tank quarantine but had an Ich break out so decided to do management instead. I just haven’t seen Ich for a long time but wanted to confirm it was nothing else!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank quarantine but had an Ich break out so decided to do management instead. I just haven’t seen Ich for a long time but wanted to confirm it was nothing else!
A little confusing that you would start quarantine but abandon it when you have an ich breakout. But, as suggested could be mucus. The white light photo is better, but the head on shot doesn't allow me to see what I thought was the questionable area. Do you concur with my earlier description of what I thought I saw?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little confusing that you would start quarantine but abandon it when you have an ich breakout. But, as suggested could be mucus. The white light photo is better, but the head on shot doesn't allow me to see what I thought was the questionable area. Do you concur with my earlier description of what I thought I saw?
To clarify I was going the quarantine route but had a breakout. I couldn’t remove the firefish from my tank due to them being under the sand in a pipe with the eel so I would have had to tear apart the whole tank to remove all the fish. So I decided to boost nutrition, UV, live black worms, polyp lab medic, vitachem and selcon and was able to get through it.

I don’t see any on the fin on the back but there are spots on the body fins and the overall body.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify I was going the quarantine route but had a breakout. I couldn’t remove the firefish from my tank due to them being under the sand in a pipe with the eel so I would have had to tear apart the whole tank to remove all the fish. So I decided to boost nutrition, UV, live black worms, polyp lab medic, vitachem and selcon and was able to get through it.

I don’t see any on the fin on the back but there are spots on the body fins and the overall body.
I regret I can't see the spots in the photos. Sounds as if there are a lot more than what I saw. Since you see the spots on the fins in addition to the body, I'm inclined to believe its ich. If you get some side photos of the fish, be sure to post them.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret I can't see the spots in the photos. Sounds as if there are a lot more than what I saw. Since you see the spots on the fins in addition to the body, I'm inclined to believe its ich. If you get some side photos of the fish, be sure to post them.
Thank you for all your help. This guy is super hard to take pictures of I think it’s Ich but want to make sure it’s nothing else. I’ll post some more soon!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back