Achilles Tang - Ich or Something Else?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank quarantine but had an Ich break out so decided to do management instead. I just haven’t seen Ich for a long time but wanted to confirm it was nothing else!
That looks like ich to me. Achilles are so prone to it that management is tough to do with them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions that you have seen work?

Nothing really works when a fish has an active ich disease in a tank with any invertebrates. Without invertebrates, you can use hyposalinity:

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So the fish is still alive and eating a bit, I wanted to send pictures as he looks worse. Any thoughts on what is going on?

IMG_2414.jpeg
IMG_2414.jpeg
IMG_2408.jpeg
IMG_2417.jpeg
IMG_2409.jpeg
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2419.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - can't see anything in those pictures, too many spots in the tank to tell which are on the fish.

What treatment have you begun?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - can't see anything in those pictures, too many spots in the tank to tell which are on the fish.

I started doing management with UV, live food, healthy diet, polyp lab medic, as well as dosed prazi pro three days ago because he began to develop black spots as well

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The spots are either on the wall or on the fish. If you zoom in the fish the spots are there. My concern is that he’s also pale, had some black spots, and not eating as well.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it make any sense to just remove the tang to treat in copper? Or once reintroduced would infection just restart?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it make any sense to just remove the tang to treat in copper? Or once reintroduced would infection just restart?
All fish would need to be removed and treated. During which the tank would need to be run fallow for around 46 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal any thoughts? He’s a bit pale
Sorry, without clear video and pictures, I’m reluctant to make any recommendations….even with clear pictures, the diagnostic process is difficult.

The Achilles has some external parasite - flukes and/or ich. All the fish would need to be treated with copper and prazi, or just hypo, but I realize that is a huge task.

Jay

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, without clear video and pictures, I’m reluctant to make any recommendations….even with clear pictures, the diagnostic process is difficult.

The Achilles has some external parasite - flukes and/or ich. All the fish would need to be treated with copper and prazi, or just hypo, but I realize that is a huge task.

Jay
Can I do prazi in the tank? I have it at home I believe. I can also attempt to do hypo as I don’t have any corals yet in the new tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do prazi in the tank? I have it at home I believe. I can also attempt to do hypo as I don’t have any corals yet in the new tank.
Because I can’t see well enough for a firm diagnosis, you would need to run copper AND prazi to rule out most diseases (not all though). Hyposalinity could be used, but it won’t treat for velvet (but I don’t think that is the issue here).

Here is a post about hyposalinity:

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I can’t see well enough for a firm diagnosis, you would need to run copper AND prazi to rule out most diseases (not all though). Hyposalinity could be used, but it won’t treat for velvet (but I don’t think that is the issue here).

Here is a post about hyposalinity:
Is there an issue running copper directly in the tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an issue running copper directly in the tank?
It will leech into your rocks. Makes dosing a little more difficult and will remain. Afterward will require products to remove it from the system. Also, copper is toxic to inverts so your CuC won't make it.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will leech into your rocks. Makes dosing a little more difficult and will remain. Afterward will require products to remove it from the system. Also, copper is toxic to inverts so your CuC won't make it.
Got it, I will send more pictures today. Let me know what you think it is. I’ve been dosing prazi into the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back