OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to get a nice and fat base vs a tall and skinny piece. Once the coral gets huge, there will be a trunk for it to rest on vs a skinny base that can break easily. If you glue your frag down sideways the base will grow out wider than upright. On a 2" tile, you'll have 20 branches growing out of it around the same time that you'd have only a few if you start out upright.

Yes, I thought of the skinny stem as well down the road. The idea would be if this worked, then in 6 months or so to remove the frag, cut the stem, and permanently mount the hopefully by then mini colony. This way the frag would have already started to grow up and outwards before starting the base. Just looking at a potential idea to get quicker growth starting out the gate than waiting the long wait for the base to establish.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth a shot. When do we get to see these funky looking frag mounts? ;Woot

I am going to attempt to mount these on Sunday. Still thinking about all of this though. Would hate to do this to 30 frags and it not go as planned. Seems like a huge waste of time if I have to redo it in a couple months. :D

Maybe I will try it with just a select few.

rid1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to attempt to mount these on Sunday. Still thinking about all of this though. Would hate to do this to 30 frags and it not go as planned. Seems like a huge waste of time if I have to redo it in a couple months. :D

Maybe I will try it with just a select few.
Hi... Update on this... Like to see the results

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi... Update on this... Like to see the results
20230416_092633.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back