Acro losing tissue slowly

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like title states, losing tissue slowly, and still have PE. Dipped in the passed and found aefw but haven’t found any on previous/recent dips. I have given it time to heal, but looks like it’s getting worse. Any thoughts on this? Only acro that is struggling.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture also. You can see where the tissue is browning where it usually is super bright green.

image.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just try and stay ahead of it. I have found clipping any dead areas daily and getting them out of the tank is they best way to keep wierd rtn out of the tank. I have seen branches darken before they die but not sure what causes it.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, looks like a nice piece. If you've seen AEFW before, I'd wager its still fallout from them, especially given its from the base upwards which is classic AEFW. If this was a fresh cut nub frag I might be more suspicious of water chemistry and whatnot, but that looks like an acro that has been well taken care of. Good luck.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, looks like a nice piece. If you've seen AEFW before, I'd wager its still fallout from them, especially given its from the base upwards which is classic AEFW. If this was a fresh cut nub frag I might be more suspicious of water chemistry and whatnot, but that looks like an acro that has been well taken care of. Good luck.

thank you. Yes I have had it for years. It is def coming from the base up. You can also see a frag I took early on to try dipping and basically using it as a test frag.Used Bayers In the past. Is that still recommended over using like Coral RX?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just try and stay ahead of it. I have found clipping any dead areas daily and getting them out of the tank is they best way to keep wierd rtn out of the tank. I have seen branches darken before they die but not sure what causes it.
Thanks! I’ll try to do more of that

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. Yes I have had it for years. It is def coming from the base up. You can also see a frag I took early on to try dipping and basically using it as a test frag.Used Bayers In the past. Is that still recommended over using like Coral RX?

Thankfully AEFW are one of the few pests I havent had to deal with personally (knock on wood) but with that said, I still use bayer as my dip of choice. Hopefully someone with better first hand knowledge can give you some advice there.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully AEFW are one of the few pests I havent had to deal with personally (knock on wood) but with that said, I still use bayer as my dip of choice. Hopefully someone with better first hand knowledge can give you some advice there.

I have had great successes with it, but have a bunch of coral RX I would like to use if that works as well.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have found flatworms in the past they aren’t going to go away on their own. If possible, I’d try to dip the coral and the rock that it’s on in a heavy concentration of Bayer and see what pops off.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have found flatworms in the past they aren’t going to go away on their own. If possible, I’d try to dip the coral and the rock that it’s on in a heavy concentration of Bayer and see what pops off.

yes but the only way I found them was by dipping in bayers lol. I dipped for 6 weeks which is what I read was recommended to get ahead of the reproduction cycle. I also blasted the colony with fresh RODI every couple days to knock off any new eggs..

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ro won’t knock of any eggs they need to be scraped off but six weeks should have killed them all if it was done right. You have to be extremely diligent with dipping to best them. Melafix or revive I found to be best. I also beat them by dosing flat worm stop at a double dose for close to a year. Maybe more like 8 months along with basting corals to keep the worms from taking hold of their favorite colonies.

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take a couple of frags from the mother colony for a start - just in case.

How long since you last found the AAFW?

It could potentially be that this particular area is struggling for flow as the coral has grown, you could you increase flow around this area and see if is colours up over the next few weeks..

I feel if it was a parameter issue you would see this all over the colony, and it doesn’t look to be R/STNing.

Bummer as it’s a beautiful coral, I think you have a good chance to save it still though.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEFW is a problem and you need to make sure that your tank is rid of them. However, they usually do not kill the coral all the way without help from other environmental things.

Slow death from the bottom up is usually a parameter or two being too far out of whack for too long, or poor lighting that is causing too many shadows. Have you gone back to the basics and recalibrated your refractometer, checked your temp using something with mercury, checked your test kits, etc.?

They could also just be suffering from all of the dipping and handling. Not much you can do about this.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take a couple of frags from the mother colony for a start - just in case.

How long since you last found the AAFW?

It could potentially be that this particular area is struggling for flow as the coral has grown, you could you increase flow around this area and see if is colours up over the next few weeks..

I feel if it was a parameter issue you would see this all over the colony, and it doesn’t look to be R/STNing.

Bummer as it’s a beautiful coral, I think you have a good chance to save it still though.

i can reallly see browning from the base up on most of the whole colony. I did have a test frag that’s in the same condition

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEFW is a problem and you need to make sure that your tank is rid of them. However, they usually do not kill the coral all the way without help from other environmental things.

Slow death from the bottom up is usually a parameter or two being too far out of whack for too long, or poor lighting that is causing too many shadows. Have you gone back to the basics and recalibrated your refractometer, checked your temp using something with mercury, checked your test kits, etc.?

They could also just be suffering from all of the dipping and handling. Not much you can do about this.

havent recalibrated temp which I think is a good idea. No idea how to do this. Test kits seem to be consistent. Lighting should suffice since I grew everything from frags. Currently using Milwaukee Refractometer and even after calibrated, can’t get it to the exact SG

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe it was you JDA that I read a lot on worm wood about. I ended up dosing worm wood for 6 months

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can reallly see browning from the base up on most of the whole colony. I did have a test frag that’s in the same condition

That would rule out flow then. Was the test frag good when initially cut? If so, it would appear that this particular coral is more sensitive to a water column issue. My guess would be either a nutrient spike, contamination or even a low stray voltage (though I doubt this).

Do you have a friend who you can give a couple of frags too and see what happens in their tank?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would rule out flow then. Was the test frag good when initially cut? If so, it would appear that this particular coral is more sensitive to a water column issue. My guess would be either a nutrient spike, contamination or even a low stray voltage (though I doubt this).

Do you have a friend who you can give a couple of frags too and see what happens in their tank?

Yes this was my next idea as well. What’s weird is I have other acros and sos doing just fine. When I initially dipped about 8 months ago, I probably found 100+ on the one colony.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back