Acro Problem - Haven't Seen This Before

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

My Poletti Yellow Tip is showing tissue recession between the corallites on a few branches.
Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_8708.jpg

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be shading or could be growth, hard to tell by the super blue picture. I have a bali green slimer and a cali tort that due the same thing. Jus keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Y

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to get a good pic, but it's definitely not shading or new growth. Diatoms/algae will start growing on the area w/ recession - I have to turkey baste it to keep it off.

OP
OP
Y

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk has been rock solid for weeks now @ 7.8. Nutrients are >0, too.

OP
OP
Y

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m feeding plenty (I think?) 7 fish, feed 3x/day via auto feeder. Nitrates=10, phosphate =.03-.1

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed? May need to dose trace elements. Have you inspected for flat worms? They tend to eat corals between the coralites.

OP
OP
Y

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients >0 (“nutrients are greater than zero”)... hopefully that does not contradict w/ my nitrate and phosphate readings above.

I feed NLS Thera +A

I fragged off the branches today that were showing recession. I dipped the smallest one in fresh water before tossing it, and there were no creepy crawlies of any kind.

I’ve been through AEFW before (in my last tank), and I’ve done everything I can to keep them out of my tank this time around (short of having a separate QT tank). I try to buy from only the most reputable vendors, I dip EVERYTHING w/o exception, and vendor frag plugs never go in my tank. I know that’s not a 100% guarantee, but it’s the best I can do w/o a separate QT tank.

I also dealt w/ dinos earlier this year, and I worked hard to get nutrients up (and bring alk down slowly, from 9 to 7.8... over a period of a few months). I dosed nitrate & phosphate while starting to feed more, then tailed off the dosing after the additional feeding started to hold nutrients in place. I haven’t had to dose nutrients for a couple months now, and corals all REALLY colored up fast when my nutrients were finally up... including the poletti yellow tip.

So, I’m just not sure what this might be. Bacterial? I know people have been talking on R2R about that, but just not sure if it’s that or something else.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh. Been a while since math class and using < > ;Hilarious

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for rusty anything. I double triple quadruple checked massive water changes. Things would look great for a day after the water change then rtn would set in again 2 days later. Turns out I had a TLF magnetic veggie clip blowin neodymium magnet rust into my tank. 2 40% water changes and my hammers stopped jellying and my remaining SPS are like someone flipped a switch back to growth instead of death.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like the same damage too some would stn others would rtn some would die from the base others the tips and others right in the middle of a branch. My Monti cap started dieing from the middle out.

OP
OP
Y

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh. Been a while since math class and using < > ;Hilarious
Ha! All good, my friend. I figured there might be a little disconnect. Nonetheless, I appreciate you trying to help!!!

Check for rusty anything. I double triple quadruple checked massive water changes. Things would look great for a day after the water change then rtn would set in again 2 days later. Turns out I had a TLF magnetic veggie clip blowin neodymium magnet rust into my tank. 2 40% water changes and my hammers stopped jellying and my remaining SPS are like someone flipped a switch back to growth instead of death.
Hmmmmm... very interesting. Ok, that’s worth checking, for sure.

Back