Acro Pruning

AviL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to prune back a stag colony and am looking to advice on design. Anyone experienced with pruning aesthetics?

652C0C36-24DB-4323-B715-A5B3819028DB.jpeg D8E20804-FFDB-44D8-BFD6-92E352BF346C.jpeg

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you would like to see the coral do.

Do you like the way it looks but it just got too big. Then trim down the top branches and trim them below where there are side branches growing off to the side. This will top of the coral. It should encrust over and then start growing up from the new tips you created.

If you think you would like the coral to look a lil more filled in, then clip the branches at the top just above where new branches are growing off the side of the branch. This will cause the coral to split and grow in 2 different directions from there and give you 2x as many branches in the future.

If its just too big - then thin it out. Take out a couple of the major branches from as down low as in the colony you can cut them. Trimming branches from the base will be the most effective way to reduce the size of the colony and give you the longest period of time before you need to trim again.

Dave B

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back