Acro question

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 1st acro since getting back after 15yrs. I've had him in the spot in the picture for a couple of weeks from a place on a frag rack for a couple of weeks then to this brighter spot. Since I've had it he's only fluffed up a couple of times. I can tell he's getting thicker and growing but he don't look the same as when I got it. The corals that are around it are at least 3" away. The shots deceptive. Everything else in the tank open up and extend feeders. Is this any kind of normal? I have good lights and flow so I dunno. Parameters perfect and fairly stable except for a dip in phosphate and nitrate I'm bringing up slowly. But the look of this predates that.

20231214_160652.jpg

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sal 1.26
Ph 8.3
No3 3
Ph .05
Cal 450
Alk 10.2
Mag 1340
Temp 78
Except for bottoming out for a few days on no3 and po4 I'm usually right around here at every test.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sal 1.26
Ph 8.3
No3 3
Ph .05
Cal 450
Alk 10.2
Mag 1340
Temp 78
Except for bottoming out for a few days on no3 and po4 I'm usually right around here at every test.
Yeah man everything looks good, some acros are just picky. I moved one 6 inches and it clamed up for 3 weeks ! I can see just little tuffs on it so not entirely closed up.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check on it at night when the lights have been out for a few hours. And see how extended it is

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot to it, but honestly. If the polyps are out at night, the color is good (not perfect) and it's doing any sort of growing or encrusting, I leave it alone for 3 months, at that point I'd reassess and maybe move it. Sps take a long time to adjust to your tank sometimes , especially if you dip, ship or rebase them

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably fine and just adjusting. However, for me, the alk at 10.2dkh and your po4 at .05 and no3 at 3 is pretty low. I would pump those nutrients up some to avoid burnt tips if anything. At 10.2 your acro gets the growth but the low nutrients may not facilitate the growth. You said you've bottomed out, if only for a few days...still not good. Get that n03 up to 10 at least for a buffer zone from bottoming out at least. .05 is ok if you can stay there but .08 would be safer for a buffer zone. FWIW I'm about .08ish and 10-20 with a dkh of 8.

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably fine and just adjusting. However, for me, the alk at 10.2dkh and your po4 at .05 and no3 at 3 is pretty low. I would pump those nutrients up some to avoid burnt tips if anything. At 10.2 your acro gets the growth but the low nutrients may not facilitate the growth. You said you've bottomed out, if only for a few days...still not good. Get that n03 up to 10 at least for a buffer zone from bottoming out at least. .05 is ok if you can stay there but .08 would be safer for a buffer zone. FWIW I'm about .08ish and 10-20 with a dkh of 8.
That's what I'm aiming at. But slowly working it up over about a week. If the higher nutrients don't work I can always get them back down and then adjust position. Luckily he's on a stable move able piece of rock. So I'll try this route. And to the other guys following it's not really extending at night either and I nightly dose phyto.

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now got my phosphate at 1.0 will check nitrate in the morning. Acro is starting to show some of the color he had when I bought him. I've added a 5w uv sterilizer to my return chamber and the little bit if dyno I had is gone. If it gets back to popping again I'll share a picture.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now got my phosphate at 1.0 will check nitrate in the morning. Acro is starting to show some of the color he had when I bought him. I've added a 5w uv sterilizer to my return chamber and the little bit if dyno I had is gone. If it gets back to popping again I'll share a picture.
0,1 I hope?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you are starving them. The fact you had Dino’s means you had a low nutrient system and as you mentioned nutrients bottomed out. The precision on your test kit for nitrate Hannah which I assume you used is + or minus 2ppm. So you could have only 1 nitrate. And your phosphate could also be at 0.02 as I think that test kit has a 0.03 accuracy range. The fact you had Dino’s tells me you probably are starving them. I would raise nitrates to 5-10 and phosphates 0.1 and see how that helps.

Sps are tricky and don’t do well with very low nutrients unless you have a heavy import and heavy export methods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back