OP
Living Reef Orlando

Living Reef Orlando

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The big hammer colony is 53 heads I believe. Then there's a couple small ones with 10-12 heads. I got those from someone breaking a tank down. Really the only way to get something like that size. I was told that colony is over 25 years old and used to be much larger. They were fragging heads off the mother colony to sell to locals. Once I got involved he asked "how may heads do you want?", I said "ALL of them." I spent a long time nursing that back to health though. It was filthy and loaded with Aiptasia and vermetid snails. Luckily I have a tank full of Berghia next to that tank for the Aiptasia. The vermetid I scraped off what I could find and the Sixline wrasse now keeps everything in check.

Now you know why I'm adding the SPS grow out tank. I can only much so much flow in there before the hammers and Duncans get ticked off and close up. I'm going to use that tank for LPS and softies and most the sticks to their own tank and crank up the flow.
53 HEADS HOLY COW.

Shut Down Fix My Life GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

I totally get that though. Good luck on the SPS grow out! Post pics when you get it goin!

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
53 HEADS HOLY COW.

Shut Down Fix My Life GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

I totally get that though. Good luck on the SPS grow out! Post pics when you get it goin!
Yup, 53 heads... probably more now that it's healthy. I haven't looked for new heads on that one but the smaller ones have a bunch of new heads growing. I'd say that qualifies as a display tank centerpiece either way.

I will absolutely share pics once I get the SPS tank setup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back