Acropora loosing color.

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I bought this frag from my LFS yesterday . It was a bright green when I bought it, after about 30 minutes of transport it became mostly brown. By the time I acclimated it and dipped it it was full brown with one of the tips basically loosing all color. I still have polyp extension and the polyps maintained their color is this normal for them to do or should I be worried. I have another acro in my tank that I bought from the same store that was also in the same tank and it’s doing great not sure if that has any relevance. My parameters are
DKH: 9.4
CAL:450
MAG:1430
PH:8.4
NO3: 2.0
PO4: 0.025
32F66B0E-ABE5-4136-B39A-680700DC078C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place a little higher up in the path of medium light and water flow and assure levels aren’t elevated such as: phosphate, ph, salinity alk and calcium over time
What test kits are you using?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the difference just the lighting at the LFS vs what you have at home? Maybe the green that you saw were all of the polyps that were not out? I have never seen an acro lose color that fast, but I have not seen them all.

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a little higher up in the path of medium light and water flow and assure levels aren’t elevated such as: phosphate, ph, salinity alk and calcium over time
What test kits are you using?
It’s sitting pretty high up in the tank I would say top of the tank and it’s also receiving good flow I can see all the polyps moving. It’s at the same level and flow as my other acro. The test kits I’m using is the hanna for DKH and salifer for everything else except for PO4 im using hanna for that as well.

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the difference just the lighting at the LFS vs what you have at home? Maybe the green that you saw were all of the polyps that were not out? I have never seen an acro lose color that fast, but I have not seen them all.
I say the color on the tissue as bright green as well as the polyps. The store was using the Red Sea LEDs and I’m using hydra 32HD from AI. My other acro that I got from the same tank at the store is doing fine in my tank never lost any tissue.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say difference in lighting made it appear green. I have had that happen to me. Bought a frag fluorescing a nice green in the store, get it home and its pretty drab. The store was pumping exorbitant amounts of UV light into their tank for glow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back