Acropora melting

  • Thread starter Thread starter dnledman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dnledman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2014
Messages
255
Reaction score
160
Location
Westchester
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone, recently got an acropora from a website, two of the three colonies are fine however one is essentially melting. I dipped them all when I got them and The pink skin on this colony is slowing peeling back. I fragged it once to see if I could stop the tissue loss but it seems to have continued. It’s literally just one colony, I have 15 other frags/colonies growing fine. Is there any type of infection that I should just remove this coral completely or am I missing something else?

All of my parameters are below, the “melting” frag is in the middle of the picture.

77 degrees,
Nitrates at 10ppm
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphates at .01
Calcium 440ppm
Alk is 8.2 dkh
Salinity is 1.024

3D83FB3C-A7E8-431D-89D0-8B1C7E67DB70.jpeg
 
Sounds like RTN (rapid tissue necrosis). You did good by trying to cut off the bad parts and save the good ones. RTN is believed to be bacterial and there’s not much you can do beyond that. Once they start to go, the chance of survival is low. But for you to get that many pieces and only have one do this is pretty good. It’s quite normal.
 
I don’t believe your parameters are to blame but I would raise salinity to 1.025-1.026.
 
Was probably the wicked witch Acro. Looks nice but melts when it touches water. Glad you were able to save it. I’m too new at this and need to learn to frag. Seeing how one can save a colony and start over. Worth the time. I really like that one behind it. Think I have a piece like that but it’s been looking awful since it came in the mail. Wasn’t sent properly. Or I screwed it up. Probably both. But it might recover.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new