Acropora melting

dnledman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, recently got an acropora from a website, two of the three colonies are fine however one is essentially melting. I dipped them all when I got them and The pink skin on this colony is slowing peeling back. I fragged it once to see if I could stop the tissue loss but it seems to have continued. It’s literally just one colony, I have 15 other frags/colonies growing fine. Is there any type of infection that I should just remove this coral completely or am I missing something else?

All of my parameters are below, the “melting” frag is in the middle of the picture.

77 degrees,
Nitrates at 10ppm
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphates at .01
Calcium 440ppm
Alk is 8.2 dkh
Salinity is 1.024

3D83FB3C-A7E8-431D-89D0-8B1C7E67DB70.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like RTN (rapid tissue necrosis). You did good by trying to cut off the bad parts and save the good ones. RTN is believed to be bacterial and there’s not much you can do beyond that. Once they start to go, the chance of survival is low. But for you to get that many pieces and only have one do this is pretty good. It’s quite normal.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe your parameters are to blame but I would raise salinity to 1.025-1.026.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was probably the wicked witch Acro. Looks nice but melts when it touches water. Glad you were able to save it. I’m too new at this and need to learn to frag. Seeing how one can save a colony and start over. Worth the time. I really like that one behind it. Think I have a piece like that but it’s been looking awful since it came in the mail. Wasn’t sent properly. Or I screwed it up. Probably both. But it might recover.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back