Acropora returning from the dead

Reefglide

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
6
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently a month ago removed a very aggressive colony. All that was left were skeletal remains from incrustation. Today I noticed it is coloring up and birthing polyps. Has anyone experienced this? There was zero zooxanthellae left after the surgery. Just curious if any of you pros can explain.
 
Last edited:
It's possible, this one back in August, presumed dead :)
20200809_115643.jpg


But here it is recently:
20210225_170539.jpg
 
Seemingly dead corals can resurrect. I guess some polyps just fold up and go dormant when the coral is stressed. If conditions come back to their liking, they become active.
 
I’ve had many return from near death. In this case I cut all branches then used garden hand shears as well as dikes to cut encrustations from rock. Next I cleaned with a wire brush. Any skeletal remains were from deep within the skeleton. Hoping someone could possibly give a scientific explanation of how deep zooxanthella exist within coral skeleton.
Thanks for the comments.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new