Acropora Speciosa

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone having luck with these? I think they might be my favorite flavor of stick these days..

PXL_20221109_203629874.MP~2.jpg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap that piece is stunning! I've only tried one speciosa before and it was doing well until the urchins deposited it in the void and I was never able to find it again. I found it was happiest in a lower light area at around 200ish PAR with med-high flow.

Where did you pick that piece up if you don't mind me asking? (I'd love to grab one)

OP
OP
Doctor Derp

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do but not nearly as colorful as yours. What lighting level do you use?

Tank is a standard 120, 3 xr15 gen6 4" above water surface, coral is mounted 10" below the surface of the water. I run my lights at 100% AB+ from 8am to 9pm every day.

That almost looks like a striata, wow that is a killer looking coral! Either way, dang that piece has amazing colors!!!

Looking at it closely, I think you might be right!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost looks like a striata, wow that is a killer looking coral! Either way, dang that piece has amazing colors!!!

It looks like maybe the fragment was affected by some kind of hyperplasia or neoplasia, possibly making the skeleton look a little more dense with some odd coralite growth maybe? The colors are good under those blues which would make me think it’s probably going to regrow normally once new growth hits, I will be curious to see an update later. If it keeps lots of coralites with a cupped shape in new growth and not the long deep water look then it would likely be a striata, especially if you see clustered rosettes at axial tips. But I am not familiar with it personally, it does seem to have been collected from some pictures but I have not seen one yet so that would be a plus in my eyes. Even though speciosa is fine and dandy on its own.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maybe the fragment was affected by some kind of hyperplasia or neoplasia, possibly making the skeleton look a little more dense with some odd coralite growth maybe? The colors are good under those blues which would make me think it’s probably going to regrow normally once new growth hits, I will be curious to see an update later. If it keeps lots of coralites with a cupped shape in new growth and not the long deep water look then it would likely be a striata, especially if you see clustered rosettes at axial tips. But I am not familiar with it personally, it does seem to have been collected from some pictures but I have not seen one yet so that would be a plus in my eyes. Even though speciosa is fine and dandy on its own.
Your ability to identify SPS and your commitment to and interest in different growth forms and structures are admirable.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ability to identify SPS and your commitment to and interest in different growth forms and structures are admirable.

Thank you man, that means a lot for sure, it does take a lot of “studying”. I am no expert, but I do love to learn and study everything pertaining to acropora. I am happy there are others around here that are good at trying to guess id’s too. Sad thing for me is I finally move to our “dream” house in Florida and I get cancer. I am desperate to beat it and get a nice big tank wet as soon as possible.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can confirm what @Graffiti Spot was speculating….speciosa with some sort of hyperplasia/disease affecting the growth pattern. Hopefully the new growth will return to its normal structure.

I’m so sorry to learn of your medical diagnosis @Graffiti Spot (you’ll always be puedo confuego to me). I’m praying for the best possible outcome for you. Stay strong

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
I am deeply saddened to hear about the news! My thoughts are with you and your family, I too remember you as pedoconfuego :) You are truly an asset around here, thank you for all you do to help others!

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you man, that means a lot for sure, it does take a lot of “studying”. I am no expert, but I do love to learn and study everything pertaining to acropora. I am happy there are others around here that are good at trying to guess id’s too. Sad thing for me is I finally move to our “dream” house in Florida and I get cancer. I am desperate to beat it and get a nice big tank wet as soon as possible.
You definitely know your stuff, man. I follow the ID threads just to see what you're going to say. Always insightful.

I'm really bummed to hear about your diagnosis, but I will say that treatment efficacy has evolved/improved but the stigma hasn't necessarily evolved. You'll beat it and get the tank of your dreams to match that dream house, while living with those mountain lions you refer to as "cats," Pedoconfuego.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 178 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%
Back