Acropower and/or Red Sea AB+

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix acropower and reef roids together in a little cup before target feeding it into the tank. I have used red sea AB+ on the non-roids days but I don't notice any benefit. I just stopped using AB+ because weirdly enough after starting this new bottle I've noticed STN issues with my acros that I target fed with AB+... but I can't say for sure that there's a direct correlation.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump - I dose both but thinking of stopping Reef Energy Plus (AB+) because of the refrigeration requirements... any other anecdotes?

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump - I dose both but thinking of stopping Reef Energy Plus (AB+) because of the refrigeration requirements... any other anecdotes?
I have a little $36 mini fridge next to my aquarium with a magnetic stirrer that mixes up the AB+ for a few minutes before auto dosing every day. It stays at 36F all day.

IMG_20210814_164710.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix acropower and reef roids together in a little cup before target feeding it into the tank. I have used red sea AB+ on the non-roids days but I don't notice any benefit. I just stopped using AB+ because weirdly enough after starting this new bottle I've noticed STN issues with my acros that I target fed with AB+... but I can't say for sure that there's a direct correlation.
You don’t want to target feed AB+, you want to broadcast feed it by pouring into a high flow area (ideally right into a powerhead).

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 AB+

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I like acropower and Oyster feast. Once a week Reef roids, but my phosphates haven't been good to use it

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a little $36 mini fridge next to my aquarium with a magnetic stirrer that mixes up the AB+ for a few minutes before auto dosing every day. It stays at 36F all day.

IMG_20210814_164710.jpg

Dam you extra. Haha big respect on the hustle

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210814_164710.jpg
my gf just told me I have to move all my fish stuff out of the food fridge, so Im going to need to get a mini fridge soon....

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gf just told me I have to move all my fish stuff out of the food fridge, so Im going to need to get a mini fridge soon....
You're not married yet ;)

I have been think of trying acro power, AB+ has always been cyano in a bottle for me.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second the STN observation with AB+. Corals do well for awhile and then begin to recede in areas without light. Not sure if it a direct or indirect effect.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could just say no I'm not moving it out. Unless she makes more money than you ;) Today it's the fridge, next it's the bathroom etc. Eventually you'll have no place of your own :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your fridge from (name/model) and was it hard to drill a hole?awesome setup/idea!

AstroAI Mini Fridge on Amazon, it was $36 when I bought it but it's going for $49 now! It was super easy to drill. I made the hole slightly larger than the tubing so I could fit the tube and power cord through, power cord first then tubing. Then I caulked the holes on each side after drilling to keep it air tight. The hardest part was finding a magnetic stirrer that fit inside the fridge. This one fits inside that fridge perfectly, Apera Instruments AI2801.​

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AstroAI Mini Fridge on Amazon, it was $36 when I bought it but it's going for $49 now! It was super easy to drill. I made the hole slightly larger than the tubing so I could fit the tube and power cord through, power cord first then tubing. Then I caulked the holes on each side after drilling to keep it air tight. The hardest part was finding a magnetic stirrer that fit inside the fridge. This one fits inside that fridge perfectly, Apera Instruments AI2801.​

This is such great information - thank you for taking the time to share it. Going to have to go give this a try. When you dose do you turn-off your return pumps or just keep everything on?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210814_164710.jpg
That is so cool. Ive seen these mini fridges but not with the mixer that can fit inside. Possible you have a link to where you got the mixer and fridge?

**Nevermind I should learn to scroll down :D

Last edited:

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
This is such great information - thank you for taking the time to share it. Going to have to go give this a try. When you dose do you turn-off your return pumps or just keep everything on?
I left my pumps on. I used a cheap smart power plug for the magnetic stirrer to turn it on before my doser turned on. I didn't want to use up a port on my Apex power bar for it.

However, I don't dose anymore since I now use the Reefmoonshiner method on my aquarium and they do not recommend dosing AB+ while on the program.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I left my pumps on. I used a cheap smart power plug for the magnetic stirrer to turn it on before my doser turned on. I didn't want to use up a port on my Apex power bar for it.

However, I don't dose anymore since I now use the Reefmoonshiner method on my aquarium and they do not recommend dosing AB+ while on the program.
I’ve read about this method but have never spoken to anyone about their results. Would you mind sharing your impressions. Would be so appreciated!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back