Acros and Montis…… Oh my?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive got an encrusting montipora slowly but surely moving up behind my very healthy Green Hulk Acro.

Question: Is the Hulk in any danger? I’ve not had this combination of corals approaching each other and I don’t want to lose the acro!
IMG_4342.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What usually happens with my coral is that the monti will shade the acro, and could kill part of it that way. But the acro usually kills the part of the monti that touches it. I just break a piece of the monti off before they touch.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes? I think so. Sps are pretty unkind to eachother by what I know

I had a acro rip a hole in the foot of an anenome in the matter of hours

What usually happens with my coral is that the monti will shade the acro, and could kill part of it that way. But the acro usually kills the part of the monti that touches it. I just break a piece of the monti off before they touch.
Thanks Matt, trimming coral branches is one thing. But was unsure about plating and encrusting corals. I know some out there touch without issue. Thanks though. I’ll keep them separated.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, Acropora, especially when well established, can usually beat back Montipora. I’ve placed Acropora frags on top of a branching Montipora during a Battlecoral grow out contest. The competition frag did well because I was aggressive in trimming back the Montipora . The other frags were overgrown by the Montipora branches but weren’t really stung. But sometimes you can’t predict. Move the Acro or trim back the Montipora if you don’t want to find out!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, Acropora, especially when well established, can usually beat back Montipora. I’ve placed Acropora frags on top of a branching Montipora during a Battlecoral grow out contest. The competition frag did well because I was aggressive in trimming back the Montipora . The other frags were overgrown by the Montipora branches but weren’t really stung. But sometimes you can’t predict. Move the Acro or trim back the Montipora if you don’t want to find out!
Checked out your “My Tank Thread” amazing tank and corals. Following your last two sentences is the way I’ll go. Thanks appreciate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back