Tank upgrade (worried about acros)

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea aquarium that has blown two back wall pumps and is generally old. So I am planning on ordering a waterbox infinia frag tank. Not a major upgrade on the size just an additional 40-50 gallons I’m not sure exactly what the Red Sea is. (Maybe 130 total volume) waterbox will be 170ish.

corals, especially acros, are the thing I am most interested in so frag racks pvc stands and fabulous water flow will be the design of the aquarium.

Current system has been running for 6 years. 2 years straight at this location so it is very predictable and stable enough to put in minimal effort.

I have spent what I consider a relatively high amount and what my wife would consider an irresponsible amount in the past year on very cool acros and I would be quite discouraged to lose any of these.

Question- Is the ONLY way to ensure that NONE of these acros die to cycle the new tank ,let it build up stability over an incredibly lengthy period of time ,then when water parameters are exactly the same at the current setup make the coral transfer?

Obviously that sounds a bit cautious but if that is less risk than the alternative I’m willing to do it…it just took a looong time to get the water the way it is now and I am very nervous about making the upgrade any advice, past experience, tips tricks are all welcome thank you all in advance

P.s. if you think the corals are crowded you should see the equipment cabinet. ;)

image.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know that 100% survival can be ensured regardless of the method you are using, but what you have described sounds like a fairly safe/cautious method. That being said, there are faster ways of doing it but it is going to depend on your tolerance for the decreased safety factor.

Things that I do: cycle new media in old tank before use, transfer cycled rock into new tank, fill the new tank/water change new tank with water from old tank (maybe superstition as nitrifying bacteria doesn’t live in the water column but other beneficial microorganisms might)

Last edited:
OP
OP
smacrophylia

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move all your rocks to the new tank and keep on trucking! Think of it as a big water change! Water changes never hurt a thang!
Is there any other way than these rocks? I mean they are crawling with life but I have battled some pretty serious issues over the time I have had these rocks including verm snails two rounds of aptasia I would love to ensure that I don’t bring bad vibes from one tank to the next

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other way than these rocks? I mean they are crawling with life but I have battled some pretty serious issues over the time I have had these rocks including verm snails two rounds of aptasia I would love to ensure that I don’t bring bad vibes from one tank to the next
Sure… start with dry rock and bacteria supplements and start from scratch with uglies and everything else as you build your biome for several months… once it’s got a little maturity move over a tester piece and see what happens.. most likely the survival rate will be much lower than just moving your current rocks over.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure… start with dry rock and bacteria supplements and start from scratch with uglies and everything else as you build your biome for several months… once it’s got a little maturity move over a tester piece and see what happens.. most likely the survival rate will be much lower than just moving your current rocks over.
This, acid wash and bleach the dry rock first. Then seed the tank with coralline scraping from existing tank. Add hermit crabs and snails as well they will have bacteria on the shells and help the cycle. Shouldn’t take long for coralline to start growing. Cut off good coral skeleton to restock the tank. Keep the others growing in your now frag tank. If something falls to its death or gets jammed behind a rock you still have a piece. Once the tank is growing well sell off a bunch of coral and take the Mrs. out for a nice night on the town, or whatever she likes the best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back