Acros Dying Not Sure What it Is

  • Thread starter Thread starter EliMelly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EliMelly

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2022
Messages
2,732
Reaction score
3,901
Location
Los Angeles
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
Hello,

So to preface I have a bunch of acros in the tank most are doing ok minus some unhappiness due to nutrient imbalances.

I have a colony that is out of nowhere dying and I’m not sure it’s an infection as I already lost a colony overnight to this when everything was perfectly stable.

I posted pics of the colony below and some of the other acros. Please advise!

IMG_9001.jpeg
IMG_9002.jpeg
IMG_9003.jpeg
IMG_9004.jpeg
IMG_9005.jpeg
IMG_9006.jpeg
IMG_9007.jpeg
 
1) go slow to reduce po4. Take a week or more to lower to 0.2

2) go slow to raise no3. 0.1 is not terrible as long as fish are being well fed.

3) lower lights 10~20% for the next couple weeks and raise slowly.

4) don't add more alk. Let it lower to 7~8dkh
 
I'm not sure how to edit.
But, po4 you can keep lowering, I didn't mean to stop at 0.2, wanted to make that clear.

What about calcium? Make sure you are 400+
 
I'm not sure how to edit.
But, po4 you can keep lowering, I didn't mean to stop at 0.2, wanted to make that clear.

What about calcium? Make sure you are 400+
I manage calcium by water changes but I don’t test it
 
You should test it at least monthly.
No calcium = no growth
I’ll start testing monthly , it’s been quite a journey I had all my corals and tenuis taking off. Had an ich outbreak, removed fish, nutrients crashed, got horrible hair algae, only now removed the algae it was so bad, finally balancing parameters. I’m surprised I haven’t lost all my acros and Goni’s.
 
I manage calcium by water changes but I don’t test it
That’s how I do it. Dosing systems (AFR) keep it inline with alk, and water changes are even extra security on top of that.

The algae overgrowth could have been a major contributing factor to the coral issues.
 
That’s how I do it. Dosing systems (AFR) keep it inline with alk, and water changes are even extra security on top of that.

The algae overgrowth could have been a major contributing factor to the coral issues.
That’s what I thought…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new