Acro's that can handle high flow

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any acropora or any sps that can handle high flow? I think most montis are ok but was wondering if anyone has had success with acoros. I have a shelf about 6-8 inches from an mp40. I tried a green slimmer there and it melted slowly so I never tried another piece in that spot. I'd love to use that space. Feel free to add whatever coral you think would be good in front of a powerhead. Thanks in advance.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most if not all sps can handle very high flow. Although no coral can last getting a constant direct jet of water out of a powerhead.

If the green slimer wasn't getting power washed I would be more suspicious of your parameters and lighting being the culprit for loosing it. I run 3 mp40s in my 120gallon(2'x4'x2'tall) my mp40s are running up to 95% and I don't have any issues with corals getting too much flow. Just make sure the flow is indirect. You can just make out all 3 of my mp40s in the picture below. Notice they all are directly over the tops of the corals to keep anything from getting a direct blast of flow.
20240406_181255.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most if not all sps can handle very high flow. Although no coral can last getting a constant direct jet of water out of a powerhead.

If the green slimer wasn't getting power washed I would be more suspicious of your parameters and lighting being the culprit for loosing it. I run 3 mp40s in my 120gallon(2'x4'x2'tall) my mp40s are running up to 95% and I don't have any issues with corals getting too much flow. Just make sure the flow is indirect. You can just make out all 3 of my mp40s in the picture below. Notice they all are directly over the tops of the corals to keep anything from getting a direct blast of flow.
20240406_181255.jpg
Beautiful Tank and thank you for the advice. My tank has a center overflow and the real-estate for corals has to be up high due to my love for large Angel fish. Long story short, most of the corals do get indirect but this one spot. I have a lot of corals and all are doing well. Maybe I could move that head a bit lower just under that shelf. I use one of the multi flow variation schedules that is offered from ecotech so the flow varies. My parameters could be better but I have a lot of fish..

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any acropora or any sps that can handle high flow? I think most montis are ok but was wondering if anyone has had success with acoros. I have a shelf about 6-8 inches from an mp40. I tried a green slimmer there and it melted slowly so I never tried another piece in that spot. I'd love to use that space. Feel free to add whatever coral you think would be good in front of a powerhead. Thanks in advance.
I have montis, birds nest, stylos and acros all on a rock like 6” away from 2xMp40s and they all they love it. I don’t think it was a flow issue that the slimmer died

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have montis, birds nest, stylos and acros all on a rock like 6” away from 2xMp40s and they all they love it. I don’t think it was a flow issue that the slimmer died
I thought slimmers were one of the hardy corals. I have at least 30 acros and they are all doing just fine with no issues growing polyp extension. Maybe it was my parameters but with my results in totality, unlikely.

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try something inexpensive but price isn't really the issue. I just don't want to kill anything. I have montis that have adapted to high flow. Just wanted something a little taller. I think being in the water column as apposed to being able to encrust over the rock is a big difference maker.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Tank and thank you for the advice. My tank has a center overflow and the real-estate for corals has to be up high due to my love for large Angel fish. Long story short, most of the corals do get indirect but this one spot. I have a lot of corals and all are doing well. Maybe I could move that head a bit lower just under that shelf. I use one of the multi flow variation schedules that is offered from ecotech so the flow varies. My parameters could be better but I have a lot of fish..
I wonder if you get a wide flow guard for the wet side if that will help in your situation. What do you mean by parameters could be better with a lot of fish? If high nutrients is what your worried about I wouldn't say that's an issue so long as it's stable. My tank runs nitrates at 40ish and phosphates at .5+

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most acros can handle high flow...its the direct constant flow that kills. Indirect/heavy/random like a washing machine so speak. It helps to have other flow crossing flow patterns to help with the 'randomness'

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you get a wide flow guard for the wet side if that will help in your situation. What do you mean by parameters could be better with a lot of fish? If high nutrients is what your worried about I wouldn't say that's an issue so long as it's stable. My tank runs nitrates at 40ish and phosphates at .5+
My first issue was/is that I have a Meculosus angel that was one of my first fish 20 years ago. This fish devours corals so my goal and still is was to try and integrate corals in my tank somehow that where out of this fishes reach. Tried almost everything. He is actually really clever and typically overcomes any of my coral shield devises. I'll never get rid of him now of course but I've had him out of this tank for an extended period with an intent on stocking the tank and allowing the corals to establish. I've always been more of a fish guy so my tanks are always stocked. As a result my parameters are pretty high regarding NO3 and po4. I have employed multiple types of reactors and scrubbers over the years to knock the numbers down. Recently I've been dosing NOPOX and that seem to be doing the trick. Everything is doing great.
I was always under the impression that those numbers needed to be kept low for corals to do well. I am interested in your experience. Looks like you have a low number of fish by the pic.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first issue was/is that I have a Meculosus angel that was one of my first fish 20 years ago. This fish devours corals so my goal and still is was to try and integrate corals in my tank somehow that where out of this fishes reach. Tried almost everything. He is actually really clever and typically overcomes any of my coral shield devises. I'll never get rid of him now of course but I've had him out of this tank for an extended period with an intent on stocking the tank and allowing the corals to establish. I've always been more of a fish guy so my tanks are always stocked. As a result my parameters are pretty high regarding NO3 and po4. I have employed multiple types of reactors and scrubbers over the years to knock the numbers down. Recently I've been dosing NOPOX and that seem to be doing the trick. Everything is doing great.
I was always under the impression that those numbers needed to be kept low for corals to do well. I am interested in your experience. Looks like you have a low number of fish by the pic.
Check out my build thread. Ive been running high nutrients since moving into this 120gal tank. Corals are happy, growing and colorful. Just goes to show there is way more than one way to keep a tank full of sps happy.

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread. Ive been running high nutrients since moving into this 120gal tank. Corals are happy, growing and colorful. Just goes to show there is way more than one way to keep a tank full of sps happy.
Ill check it out for sure!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back