Acrylic Bonding

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some acrylic I need to bond a few pieces together to increase the height of one of my baffles.

What do I use to glue them together, and does home depot carry the glue/solvnet?

Anyone have a link maybe?

Thank you!

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some acrylic I need to bond a few pieces together to increase the height of one of my baffles.

What do I use to glue them together, and does home depot carry the glue/solvnet?

Anyone have a link maybe?

Thank you!

I know BRS super glue (cyano) works in the scrap pieces I have. What have u used to cut? Prob a jig and what type of blade? I have acrylic projects too, and need to make some prototypes. Where do I go for the fluorescent acrylic or any color for that matter. I’ll be paying close attention. Can u post any link to resources you may have?

Paul
“The Copepod King”

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really work with acrylic...I am kind of a DIY'er....but I would think if your going to be making prototypes that you would most likely use a router to cut your pieces and any notching, specialty cuts, etc...

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the aquarium industry the most used acrylic cement is Weld On 3, 4, and 16. You’ll find that 3 and 4 are almost like water The only difference is the cure times. The 16 is thick and allows more time to move your part around.

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I wished they did. You will likely find them at acrylic suppliers and maybe grainier. The last time I bought some two weeks ago they told me they couldn’t ship it.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go with Weld on 16 will that be an issue for bonding a 3'' piece to a baffle to make the height 1'' taller? So 2'' will be bonded and 1'' above not.
I dont really work with acrylic and feel I may need the extra time to get it set right!....Not a lot of time....maybe 30-45 seconds, dont know if the #4 will be forgiving with moving it a bit in the first 30-45 seconds.

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 will work great for that. Just remember it goes a long way. I’d use some clamps to hold your work after you get it placed. It will dry pretty quick.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 will work great for that. Just remember it goes a long way. I’d use some clamps to hold your work after you get it placed. It will dry pretty quick.

So just use a small bead at the bottom of the 2 inch section? If I use too much can it be wiped off?

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am basically just overlapping my current baffle with a 3 inch piece 2 inches of which will be contacted with the current baffle

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a single bead anywhere on that 2" really, it's really powerful, and will spread under pressure. I would put it in the middle to minimize chance of it squeezing out when placed under pressure. You can try to wipe off excess, but I believe that's easier said than done, as it physically melts the acylic. I'd just let it all run it's course and keep water off of it for awhile to make sure the chemical is completely gone.

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a 2 to 1 ratio on bonded vs non bonded, especially if you are using Weld On which literally melts the acrylic and bonds the two pieces at a molecular level.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c6f155e390f16f60576798e923513d75.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider ..... since baffles don't need to be completely water tight, you could attach the extension piece with nylon nuts/bolts. That way it could be moved up and down. That's how I've done extensions in the past.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider ..... since baffles don't need to be completely water tight, you could attach the extension piece with nylon nuts/bolts. That way it could be moved up and down. That's how I've done extensions in the past.

Oh man! What a great idea....hmmm.....
What do you do just drill regular holes in the acrylic....maybe like 3 or 4 across, a few different rows for different heights...

Where do you get the nylon nuts & bolts?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back