Acrylic Build question

tegeulsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at ordering precut acrylic, I have the option of 45degree beveled and polished edges, which seems very awesome to have, but my question is does it affect the solvent when bonding the panels together?

IMG_0074.jpeg

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You do not want to weld polished edges together especially if they are flame polished. They will not be very strong. When acrylic tanks are bult they are solvent welded then the excess is routered off, then polished. You will never be able to get precut pieces all to line up perfectly because of acrylic thickness tolerances and the seaming process.

Upvote 0

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is being used for a tank then I would skip since it's less surface area for the acrylic to bond together.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%

Back