Acrylic partial top vs glass rimless?

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance at either a 90 gal acrylic or a 50 gal glass rimless tank for approximately the same price. Both come with sumps. My main interest are LPS corals plus a couple fish- love the banggai cardinals.. either just a compatible pair of those, perhaps one or two other small species- don't have any species in mind right now. At the least fish are not one of the main interests. I'm wanting to upgrade from a 29 gal sumpless tank with HOB filters.

Acrylic is partially enclosed on the top with hole in middle. Have not seen this tank in person yet, no information on measurements for the top(person is a bit short in responses) by pictures it seems the top edges extend for some inches. Hole is not particularly big, kleenex tissue cube is a great description of how it looks.

Never had acrylic before. How do you clean the sides of algae etc? Will the partial top cause some kind of issues? I'm thinking it would get in the way sometimes such as trying to get the algae scraper out of the tank, salt creep on bottom surface of the top(?), making it harder to reach parts of the rockwork(jabbing at vermetids, adjusting corals etc). Would the acrylic on top interfere with lighting for the corals, by reducing PAR or..? Is this kind of tank better for a fish centric set up?

The other tank is glass, which I am familiar with- have a freshwater and saltwater tank(one year's experience with salt). Never had rimless, though.. is it a major or minor hassle? I get they give a 'clean' look but have read comments about splash being somewhat of a problem. Fair potential for fish jumping out, although the banggais apparently don't have much of any inclination towards that. I would not mind another rimmed tank, just not seeing any deals anywhere close to those two in a while. It's also a cube shape.

I like the idea of getting a bigger tank- more buffer for water parameters, space for corals. The acrylic plus top not completely open gives me pause. Glass I already am familiar with.. but it is smaller.

Would be great to get some feedack on the described tanks- both pros or cons, or even to tell me to wait for a rimmed glass tank or...

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance at either a 90 gal acrylic or a 50 gal glass rimless tank for approximately the same price. Both come with sumps. My main interest are LPS corals plus a couple fish- love the banggai cardinals.. either just a compatible pair of those, perhaps one or two other small species- don't have any species in mind right now. At the least fish are not one of the main interests. I'm wanting to upgrade from a 29 gal sumpless tank with HOB filters.

Acrylic is partially enclosed on the top with hole in middle. Have not seen this tank in person yet, no information on measurements for the top(person is a bit short in responses) by pictures it seems the top edges extend for some inches. Hole is not particularly big, kleenex tissue cube is a great description of how it looks.

Never had acrylic before. How do you clean the sides of algae etc? Will the partial top cause some kind of issues? I'm thinking it would get in the way sometimes such as trying to get the algae scraper out of the tank, salt creep on bottom surface of the top(?), making it harder to reach parts of the rockwork(jabbing at vermetids, adjusting corals etc). Would the acrylic on top interfere with lighting for the corals, by reducing PAR or..? Is this kind of tank better for a fish centric set up?

The other tank is glass, which I am familiar with- have a freshwater and saltwater tank(one year's experience with salt). Never had rimless, though.. is it a major or minor hassle? I get they give a 'clean' look but have read comments about splash being somewhat of a problem. Fair potential for fish jumping out, although the banggais apparently don't have much of any inclination towards that. I would not mind another rimmed tank, just not seeing any deals anywhere close to those two in a while. It's also a cube shape.

I like the idea of getting a bigger tank- more buffer for water parameters, space for corals. The acrylic plus top not completely open gives me pause. Glass I already am familiar with.. but it is smaller.

Would be great to get some feedack on the described tanks- both pros or cons, or even to tell me to wait for a rimmed glass tank or...
I have a rimless glass tank, really like it but bought a top to protect my fish from jumping. I have a glass tank with a rim, cant mount lights on it at all and was forced to buy a lighting hanger that mounts from the ceiling. Also makes finding a top impossible! I have an acrylic tank (biocube) that I have to scrape with a scraper. Scraped the heck out of it. The mag float scrapers are better on it and not scratching it as bad but still scrapes. Mine is bowed in the front so I think thats the biggest issue as the straight sides are fine! Biggest issue with the acrylic would be finding a light mount that works with the tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to see the acrylic tank.. it sounds like it was under built if the top has that wide of bracing on it.. get the measurements of the tank and the wall thickness… I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but thicker walls make for less bracing up top.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless glass tank, really like it but bought a top to protect my fish from jumping. I have a glass tank with a rim, cant mount lights on it at all and was forced to buy a lighting hanger that mounts from the ceiling. Also makes finding a top impossible! I have an acrylic tank (biocube) that I have to scrape with a scraper. Scraped the heck out of it. The mag float scrapers are better on it and not scratching it as bad but still scrapes. Mine is bowed in the front so I think thats the biggest issue as the straight sides are fine! Biggest issue with the acrylic would be finding a light mount that works with the tank.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of about acrylic. I don't have the best finesse.

Good point about rimmed.. my 29 gal is rimmed but it happens to have a light mount that attaches 'allright'. I didn't realize that mounting on a rimless is a bit easier.

Appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to see the acrylic tank.. it sounds like it was under built if the top has that wide of bracing on it.. get the measurements of the tank and the wall thickness… I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but thicker walls make for less bracing up top.

Ooh.. really appreciate that feedback. It made me realize that my knowledge of tank builds, structural integrity and the like is pretty poor.

From their response- tank is 36 24 24. No information on wall thickness- wasn't aware that was a question to ask. I can try asking. Any other questions or factors I should keep in mind while shopping around? To be honest, am starting to shy away from the acrylic tank. Too much unknowns, especially for a newbie like me.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 is a much better size for a reef tank. Acrylic DOES scratch easier, but you can fix the scratches, where glass the scratches are forever. I'd be wary of a rimless tank of uncertain age, as rimless tank depend a lot on the strength of the silicone and if its been sitting dry for a long time that can have an adverse effect on the silicone. I'd personally prefer the acrylic. It's a better size, generally more durable than glass as it doesn't depend on silicone.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 is a much better size for a reef tank. Acrylic DOES scratch easier, but you can fix the scratches, where glass the scratches are forever. I'd be wary of a rimless tank of uncertain age, as rimless tank depend a lot on the strength of the silicone and if its been sitting dry for a long time that can have an adverse effect on the silicone. I'd personally prefer the acrylic. It's a better size, generally more durable than glass as it doesn't depend on silicone.

The bigger size is certainly a temptation. The acrylic is used, looks almost brand new in pictures- owner clearly took effort to clean it up. The glass 50 is 'brand new, never used'- this person also has a bunch of other new looking and miscellaneous tanks in different shapes and sizes. Except the photos appear to show a private residence not a shop. Is this a potential red flag?

I could share pictures via private messaging? The pictures are not mine, and they are not the best but perhaps I could learn a thing or two and get slightly more informed opinions after seeing them?

@Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger size is certainly a temptation. The acrylic is used, looks almost brand new in pictures- owner clearly took effort to clean it up. The glass 50 is 'brand new, never used'- this person also has a bunch of other new looking and miscellaneous tanks in different shapes and sizes. Except the photos appear to show a private residence not a shop. Is this a potential red flag?

I could share pictures via private messaging? The pictures are not mine, and they are not the best but perhaps I could learn a thing or two and get slightly more informed opinions after seeing them?

@Troylee
Yeah that’s fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Go with the volume- 90 g as long as its not all scratched up or shows crazing/Hazing at the seams
Ask to see both filled to assure no leaks or seam issues

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only fish I had scratch my biocube was my triggerfish when he was in QT (its my QT tank) so I think you should be okay fish wise if you dont put a trigger in there lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back