acrylic plugs

  • Thread starter Thread starter nazzman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nazzman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2013
Messages
137
Reaction score
16
Location
ma.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the chance to buy acrylic plugs dirt cheap I never used them before and barely see them used. Whats the pros and cons if any? Whats best online store for plugs?
 
Id say just a personal preference.I like the natural look of a frag on a piece of rubble while others really like ceramics and tiles.
 
I personally cut up my frag plugs many times and I am not sure acrylic would be that easy to cut. I usually use ceramic because I like being able to add more to the tank at a time without worrying about any sort of cycle. My tank is big enough it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I just tend to go with ceramic plugs. I find that Oceans Wonders makes nice and uniform plugs where some of the other companies have variations to them.
 
The acrylic always sounded like a cool idea but it becomes a pain to frag later on. Most zoas that I frag I use the plug itself to crack and frag off the zoa. With acrylic you sorta have to tear/pry them off the plug. It'll also be very shiny for a good amount of time lol.
 
I personally cut up my frag plugs many times and I am not sure acrylic would be that easy to cut. I usually use ceramic because I like being able to add more to the tank at a time without worrying about any sort of cycle. My tank is big enough it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I just tend to go with ceramic plugs. I find that Oceans Wonders makes nice and uniform plugs where some of the other companies have variations to them.

you summed it up perfectly.
 
Not to mention if you LOOK at them wrong, they fall out of your frag rack...I got mine dirt cheap too so I cant really complain but if I had to do it again...I would probably shell out for better ones..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new