Acrylic rods and aquascaping....?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda want to redo my scaping here in the upcoming weeks. I am thinking of getting some acrylic rods of 1/2" and they will be cut to 3' lenghts from Tapplastics.com.

What I want to know if possiable or maybe a good idea?

I was thinking that once the holes are drilled in the rock how do people go about securing the rods? I am wondering if the ends could be melted and squished down while hot to make like a large plastic cap that can't be removed.....Although if done this way it would be a pita at some point to remove but the rock would be secure.......What other ways do people secure the the rods in the rock.

Tapplastics.com has the best price I have seen on 1/2" acrylic rods at 6' lengths but cut to 3' lenghts for shipping. Which 3' lenghts would still be to long but much easier to deal with and cut.....Let me know what you guys think of melting the rod down to secure them....

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be gravity still at your house so melting them to make the rock stay on the stack shouldnt be necessary. Also you would need a large or heavy base rock then your golden.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be gravity still at your house so melting them to make the rock stay on the stack shouldnt be necessary. Also you would need a large or heavy base rock then your golden.

Really I am talking about the odd angles for like over hangs where the rod would have to be bent then secured to hold the rocks in place.

But your right still have gravity here......LOL

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used acrylic rods solvent welded to acrylic disks, and slid the rocks onto the rods.

P1020131.jpg

The acrylic rods can break if to much pressure is applied to them. Fiberglass or pvc with the ends filled may be a better solution. A heat gun will easily melt or bend the rods into any position you need.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 1/2" rod and just used big rocks for the base. I didn't drill all the way through and put the rod in. Pressure would hold the rod in place, when you add the other rocks on top.

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why dont you just use jb underwater weld. It holds anything and everything and its way cheaper. Those pretty bases are just going to get covered by sand and coralline anyways.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another VERY sturdy and reef safe option for this is Tent poles. you can buy replacment poles in most major sporting good stores. the cut easy, very strong, are dark gray in color so the blend in well and wont degrade ever in salt water.

good luck to ya

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to redo 2/3 of my pillars due to small bases like these. Tall pillars with small bases = falling over pillars, at least in my case. Mine were 5" discs (1/2" thick") with 3/8" rods. 30" tall tank, so the pillars got kinda tall and wobbly. I now have bases on the pillars which have extensions in the direction of the lean, so it's all good :)

I used acrylic rods solvent welded to acrylic disks, and slid the rocks onto the rods.

P1020131.jpg

The acrylic rods can break if to much pressure is applied to them. Fiberglass or pvc with the ends filled may be a better solution. A heat gun will easily melt or bend the rods into any position you need.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great option is square carbon fiber rods from a hobby store. They're easy to cut, black, and very strong. They come in different diameters and grow coraline very fast if any areas are exposed. I wasn't thrilled with the flex in acrylic rods or how big the holes in the rock had to be. I split some nice pieces of rock in half when drilling the holes.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 87 45.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 18 9.5%
Back