Acrylic Tank

Vaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions regarding acrylic tank build. I just want to gain knowledge since I can’t seem to find this info online and understand it. Lets go with an example tank size, say 48 x 24 x 24 inch tank, we need to use 12mm thick acrylic with bracings to prevent tank from bowing and exploding. The taller the tank goes, the thicker the acrylic goes. But, is it possible to put more bracings and build the same tank with 8mm thick acrylic? With glass, you are able to do it, but are we able to do it with acrylic?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what kind of 'bracing' are you considering?

A euro brace around the top is what most acrylic tanks use. Making the brace thicker or wider really won't be much more effective (a little, but not much). A few people have used some extra acrylic around the inside of the tank at the base. This helps a little as well (more surface to bond). But thin acrylic is going to bow under the weight of the water no matter how thick or wide the brace is.

Glass is just far less flexible than acrylic. I build glass tanks with 3/8th inch glass. The latest one I'm setting up now is 36"x30"x20" or about 90g. No bracing required.

20191231_095112_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Vaul

Vaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of putting the removable bracing made of acrylic, every 12 inch. Would that help?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of putting the removable bracing made of acrylic, every 12 inch. Would that help?

Removable bracing? I don't understand what that is or how you would do that? Can you explain? Or show a photo or drawing?

OP
OP
Vaul

Vaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like a clamp. The pictures shows the shape, like a U shape.

ADC5E17F-057F-4938-A91C-7418AB5C5463.png

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions regarding acrylic tank build. I just want to gain knowledge since I can’t seem to find this info online and understand it. Lets go with an example tank size, say 48 x 24 x 24 inch tank, we need to use 12mm thick acrylic with bracings to prevent tank from bowing and exploding. The taller the tank goes, the thicker the acrylic goes. But, is it possible to put more bracings and build the same tank with 8mm thick acrylic? With glass, you are able to do it, but are we able to do it with acrylic?
My question is: why? What are you attempting to gain by going with a thinner sheet? Is it worth the risk of losing the tank?
I also was wondering why you’d want to use “removable bracing” that you mentioned. If you somehow were able to do this, when you pulled the braces off the tank would bow.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is: why? What are you attempting to gain by going with a thinner sheet? Is it worth the risk of losing the tank?
I also was wondering why you’d want to use “removable bracing” that you mentioned. If you somehow were able to do this, when you pulled the braces off the tank would bow.

Exactly!

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have some specific reason to use acrylic I would go with glass. Read your last sentence again. Glass is really easier to work with than acrylic unless you're having to cut your own.
Even my tiny Evolve8 has bowed.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have some specific reason to use acrylic I would go with glass. Read your last sentence again. Glass is really easier to work with than acrylic unless you're having to cut your own.
Even my tiny Evolve8 has bowed.

Just have a glass company cut the glass for you. I've used 2 different local suppliers and they both did excellent work. But my go to first choice supplier would even try to buy low lead glass for me. So I had to drive an extra few miles for a supplier that would. Now I'm setting up a really nice 36"x30"x20" glass tank with a low iron front.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back