Acrylic vs PVC Hybrid Sump

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
1,280
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at a bunch of different sumps and it seems that the PVC sumps have a higher cost premium than acrylic ones. What are the advantages of the white PVC sumps with acrylic windows vs an all acrylic sump? Do you feel the price differences are justified?
 
I have been looking at a bunch of different sumps and it seems that the PVC sumps have a higher cost premium than acrylic ones. What are the advantages of the white PVC sumps with acrylic windows vs an all acrylic sump? Do you feel the price differences are justified?
I personally am not a fan of hybrid sumps from a materials standpoint…

Simply put, you’re chemically welding (or in some cases siliconing) two dissimilar plastics together… this inherently means there’s a lot going on at the welded joints with differential thermal expansion/etc…
 
I personally am not a fan of hybrid sumps from a materials standpoint…

Simply put, you’re chemically welding (or in some cases siliconing) two dissimilar plastics together… this inherently means there’s a lot going on at the welded joints with differential thermal expansion/etc…
Yea, they seem to hold up well though...royal exclusiv has been making them for decades.
 
Yea, they seem to hold up well though...royal exclusiv has been making them for decades.
Hmm, true!

I suppose the routed groove in the bottom PVC panel for the walls to sit in would really help as a mechanical joint, putting less load on welds orsilicone…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new