Activated Carbon For Corals While Moving Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter riley9010
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

riley9010

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2021
Messages
26
Reaction score
11
Location
NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving my tank tomorrow and plan to place my corals in a 2 gallon Styrofoam cooler while I travel around an hour and a half to the new location for the tank. I was wondering if there are any cons to placing the bag of activated carbon that I use in the system in this 2.5 gallon cooler to mitigate any potential coral warfare given the stress of the move. Is it safer to just go without it considering it’s only an hour and a half drive maybe three hours total from removal to being placed back in the system?
 
Just me, but I would skip the bag of carbon. Just placing a bag of carbon in still water is a very inefficient way to use carbon, as opposed to having water flowing through the bag, like in a filter or reactor. For this reason, I don't think it would help much, and might even hurt if there's a lot of detritus trapped in/on the carbon or the bag itself. If you wanted to try it, I'd at least use some fresh, clean carbon and ditch the old stuff.

Good luck with your move!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new