Activated carbon

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fact that I replaced my carbon in my filter mean that the phosphate and nitrates are going to be at 0? Because I had the last one in for two months and I had present phosphate and nitrate but now I do not and I over feed like crazy but the ly never change(i use salifert test kit)and I am wondering if I should remove the activated carbon from my filter.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does topping off do that? Could that be it? I had some noticeable phosphate but as soon as I topped off with about a gallon to bring my salinity down I saw nothing and still haven't.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does topping off do that? Could that be it? I had some noticeable phosphate but as soon as I topped off with about a gallon to bring my salinity down I saw nothing and still haven't.
Things that can lower your phosphate are carbon dosing, using phosphate reducing media, water changes (not including topping off with RO), or growth of corals/macroalgae. Any of these things happen recently? There is a chemical process that binds phosphate to substrate but I wouldn't assume that is your problem. If you have a really small tank, I suppose it's possible that topping off with a gallon of water diluted the phosphate to undetectable levels.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that can lower your phosphate are carbon dosing, using phosphate reducing media, water changes (not including topping off with RO), or growth of corals/macroalgae. Any of these things happen recently? There is a chemical process that binds phosphate to substrate but I wouldn't assume that is your problem. If you have a really small tank, I suppose it's possible that topping off with a gallon of water diluted the phosphate to undetectable levels.
Oh okay, I have a 14 gallon

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always skeptical of our hobby grade test results, which test kit were you using? Same for the one a few months ago and now?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some algae sometimes you think you are at 0 but algae and coral use all of it by the time you test it. So are you really at 0 or are the life forms using it after every feeding. Plus if using hobby kits they are good for a ball park but not reliable high accurate test when you get to very low numbers.

I was showing 0 P04 sent in ICP test for other reasons prior to adding some SPS and it was .018 ppm. Unless I was using a Hana ULR checker I would never of known. I would not worry about P04 unless you suspect high levels and this is my opinion. If corals are happy focus on stability rather then chasing numbers.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay, I have a 14 gallon
That could be it then. Try to limit the fluctuation in water volume as it makes all of your parameters shift in ways that hurt coral. If you minimize those fluctuations with daily top offs or an ato you can maintain that stability. Keeping it stable over time will give you more accurate test results too so you feel more comfortable about when parameters really need to be adjusted.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the water volume stable, continue all regularly scheduled feedings and maintenance, and test once a week for four weeks or longer. Make an assessment on whether or not your phosphates need adjusting based on that.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the water volume stable, continue all regularly scheduled feedings and maintenance, and test once a week for four weeks or longer. Make an assessment on whether or not your phosphates need adjusting based on that.
Oh okay I will do that

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I will do that
Good luck going forward. Small tanks can be tricky that way; with such low water volume small changes have a more dramatic effect on the inhabitants. A week of evaporation will raise your salinity and mess with your parameters more significantly than it would in a 75 gallon for example. In addition to keeping the water level maintained, I would recommend testing the salinity of any water you use for changes prior to putting it in if you aren't already doing so. That'll prevent an accidental swing in parameters as well if the salinity is matched.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back