ADA 90P reef build

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to r2r wanted to post my new saltwater aquarium project. It seems the reef bug has hit me again and I had been mulling over turning my freshwater ADA 90P into saltwater. Its been stored for more than a year and I finally decided to set up an SPS system. A lot of the equipment I already own so I figure it wouldn't hurt my budget too bad.

So, here is my old freshwater set up...going reef now :)
Its got an ADA style stand, 4 bulb ATI powermodule, and AP electronic regulator which I plan to use for Ca Rx

Freshwater
IMG_1643.jpg

Just an FYI, I really have broken the "holes diameter rule" for drilling the tank. I did a lot of research and I found many people drilling holes a lot closer together without any problems. Therefore, I bought some hole-saws and drilled my own holes. It was a little nerve racking to drill an all starphire tank but the results were a success.

ADA aquariums, imo, are one the the best aquariums out there in forms of aesthetic looks. I think the clear silicon is much better than the traditional black silicone most aquarium manufacturers are using. My reason is because clear silicon produces an edge-less/border-less look and it literally looks like you have water box floating. With that said and in trying to keep the aesthetics going, I did not want to have a massive internal overflow box inside the tank. I went with internal because external overflow boxes show all the plumbing, so drilling the back of the tank was not an option. Therefore, I drilled my holes as close together as I could without compromising the integrity of the tank and was very happy with the way it turned out. I can have a small internal overflow box using the Herbie method while hiding everything inside the stand.

and here is what I have so far for my Reef Ready progression...
Note: Overflow pipes not cut to final size

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

Stand-ADA style replica built locally by Jon, flawless work
Sump-20H sump by Advanced Acrylics, awesome work
DIY Herbie Style Overflow- Built by me, :)
4bulb ATI Sunpower-while I save $$$ to get 2 AI Phoenix LEDS
2x Tunze 6025, eventually upgrade to vortech
Sea Side Aquatics Skimmer- Thanks to Mojo, currently being shipped
AP Electronic Regulator
Ca Reactor-Still looking for one, although will probably be a Geo 612, since everyone swears by them
10lb CO2
Ranco Temp Controller
Eheim 1250 Return-Great pump, had it for years now.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow! Your FW set up was something to be admired! Welcome to R2R and I can't wait to see your SW set up!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Your FW set up was something to be admired! Welcome to R2R and I can't wait to see your SW set up!

I agree 100% with Rev! That was a great FW setup. Keep us up on your new SW system and let us know any questions you may have. We're a friendly and helpful place here at R2R.

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing work so far! I would have been extremely nervous drilling those holes as well.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! your freshwater setup was awesome! Looking forward to seeing more updates...

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys,

I will definitely ask questions if I have any and will keep everyone posted on updates.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...

After I built the overflow box I went I bought some new equipment. It hit the wallet pretty hard but I figured I could use most of the stuff when I upgraded to a bigger tank. My vertex led illumina 24" fixture comes in today and cant wait for that. :)

Some bad news...My skimmer got shipped to wrong address because I didn't realize paypal had my old address. "Supposedly" the people that received my skimmer gave it back to FedEx but Fedex has not been able to located it since I put a trace on the skimmer. I am sure they probably kept it. This was my fault. :(

So...I went out and bought some things I needed. Here are some progression pics.

IMG_2201.jpg

Repurchased...dope!
IMG_2200.jpg

sms122 for Geo 612 Ca Rx
IMG_2215.jpg

The ADA stand side cut out conveniently organizes the MP40W es cord.
IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

Pearl Pellets in reactor
IMG_2208.jpg

Lots of work here, hands/legs sore and tried to organize the cords as best I could. Its incredible how much equipment goes into a reef tank.
IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

FTS Note: Not the Final aquascape, just added them in to cycle the tank.
IMG_2218.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice update! How far along are you in the cycle?

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! Is there any room in the skimmer compartment for the bio reactor?. For best results the out put of the bio reactor should go to the skimmer

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your new setup looks great!

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be great.Subscribed.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, can't wait to see the progress of the tank.

Thanks! :)

Nice update! How far along are you in the cycle?
Well...I used Dr. Tims One and Only Nitrifying bacteria and according to him my tank should be ready. I already added 2 clownfish from ORA to supply the ammonia for the nitrifying bacteria. I tested my water parameters on Day 3 and everything was within range. I have not tested phosphate.

Nice setup! Is there any room in the skimmer compartment for the bio reactor?. For best results the out put of the bio reactor should go to the skimmer

Thanks VegasRick, I asked Dr. Tim the same question and he said to put it near the skimmer compartment. I have not done it yet but will do it as soon as I get around to it.

Smooth looking build, I like it a lot
Thanks keokea :)

Welcome to R2R! Your new setup looks great!

This is going to be great.Subscribed.

Thanks M&M, I hope it works out great too

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My Lighting arrived and I got to play with it on my Mac. It was nice to control it wirelessly. Its got so many things it can do including thunderstorms.

On another note, I was not able to set up my Ca Reactor because the Milwaukee sms122 would not power the solenoid to my regulator. I checked the voltage with a voltmeter and the wall would draw 125V but the female socket of the sms122 adapter would only draw 75V?. I called Milwaukee and was told to send it back so they could fix it. So no Ca reactor until next week, bummer.

I did buy some colored sticks and they are doing well. I did not take pics of them because I am going to shoot them with a better camera. My water still needs to clear up a little more.

Vertex
IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

Skimmer Nog
IMG_2230.jpg

Vertex Lighting with final aquascaping
IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 week update

Hi everyone, just thought I would post an update with pics. Not much going on but its an update :)

Pics taken with Nikon D70 and 105mm Macro Nikkor lense

DSC_0107-1.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

The tank is still in its cycle and I went through diatoms on the rock and sand bed the end of my first week. I used my diatom filter and a paint brush to help remove the diatoms off the rock, this helped a lot.

During the end of the second week came the green dust algae on the rocks and glass. During this time my skimmer started skimming much more and my copepods increased dramatically. I have done a 10 gallon water change every week with IO salt and supplement with Ca and Mg.

Now it appears the GDA (as pics show) is disappearing and am starting to grow small filaments (check out the potters pic, show some small hair algae) of hair algae. I think a CUC would be a good time now but I am hesitant because I dont like adding snails or crabs in my tank. I will monitor the hair algae and if it gets bad maybe I will borrow a tang from someone or buy a CUC. Also, read blennies are really good at hair algae.

IMG_1587.jpg

I read about lanthanum chloride and began to use LaCl made by SeaKlear with my diatom filter. I never got my diatom filter to clog so I guess my phosphates were not too high. I am reluctant to buy a hanna phosphate test kit, I owned the old version and sold it because I did not really find it beneficial. I believe if I have algae, I have phosphates. I think most of my phosphates are coming from the dry rock I bought. I am hoping each time I use the LaCl it will lower my phosphates and cripple the algae. I am running the pellets but I have read they dont really kick in until the 4th week. After turkey day my tank will be 1 month old and hopefully the pellets kick in and begin to lower the nutrients.

I have tested my water and have no ammonia with very little nitrate. I am also running my alk, ca, and mg on the high side for algae control. The led lighting is at 10% for white, 50% blue, and 54% royal blue. I have it turned way down because I am trying to prevent algae outbreaks. Being able to control the intensity of led lighting is a nice feature.

Fish

Potter's Angel

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

I really like the Potters Angel and found one at a LFS. Years ago I kept one for about a year until it went carpet surfing. The key with them is to get them to eat at fish stores. I saw it eat frozen mysis at the lfs so I took it home. During the first week of introducing it to my tank it constantly grazed the rock removing the diatoms and GDA. It ignored the mysis, spirulina flakes, and spectrum. I was never concerned because it was fat and would constantly poop. Its been in my tank for 2 weeks now and it is now eating frozen mysis, frozen angel food, and spirulina flakes. I am pretty happy about this. I believe I have a female. Males have much more pronounced blue coloration. Maybe I will look for a male in the future.

Percula Clownfish

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

I have always liked the percula clownfish. The pair I bought had alot of black marking similar to what they label onyx clownfish.I initially had a pair but one of them went carpet surfing. This urged me to buy the clear 1/4" netting from bulkreefsupply and build my own screen. I don't want to lose this guy.

Shark nosed Goby or Yellow striped Goby

DSC_0047.jpg

I always like this little guy, bought him for cleaning purposes but it hasn't done anything.

6 line wrasse

DSC_0085.jpg

Constantly swimming and hangs out with my potters angel. Also, see him constantly eat copepods.

Diamond Goby

DSC_0601.jpg

Bought this guy to clean up my sand bed. It did a nice job then I noticed it starting breathing very rapidly. I thought it was going to die but it has since recovered. I really like it and is now one of my favorite fish to watch. I read that crushed coral in the sand bed is not good for them but I read many people keeping them with crushed coral? So I dont know if I am safe? I am not sure why my fish was breathing so hard. Its doing good now so hopefully I don't have that concern anymore.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sps frags

DSC_0594.jpg

Green cap, came with a lot of algae but I burned it with peroxide when I dipped it to remove the algae. Its rebounding quite nicely and is growing on the back side.

DSC_0591.jpg

Setosa lightened up in my tank but it is doing well and growing. I guess the led lighting is strong enough because I read they lighten up with high light.

DSC_0593.jpg

Triicolor, not very good pic, sorry.

I did loose a blue tenius that bleached when I was dialing in my Ca Reactor. I found out I had to run the CaRx at its lowest setting to keep the alk stable. At this point a Ca reactor is overkill but once they grow I am sure I will use more of it.

I am going to add more sps tomorrow. ORA red planet, hawkins, orange monti cap, undata, pink birdsnest, and superman monti should arrive tomorrow. All thanks to Kbra. :)

DSC_0124.jpg

I added another cpr reactor to run purigen. So far its working good but will mod the cpr reactor to avoid using a bag to trap the small purigen and to allow it to move more freely inside the reactor.

Please feel free to ask questons, critiques, or leave comments. :)

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for sharing fishnugget. Beautiful setup. I too am tiring of my big 180g and went to my LFS to inquire on a ADA tank. They gave me a free catalog with all the pictures and i'm getting inspired. i'm looking at the 120p right now.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back