OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 120P is nicer, IMO, than the 90P. Its got better dimensions. Its doesn't look too big and is not small. I went with the 90P because I had it and already owned the stand. Also, I live in an apt. and moving a 90P is already a pain in the butt. Once I get a house I will go bigger. The stand was built by a member on a freshwater forum and he did an excellent job. It looks just like the ADA stands only 700 bucks cheaper. :)

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. i'm all about savings also. I'm in talks with my LFS owner and might take one of his 120P 's on display off of his hands. That = bigger savings! Hope this works out!

The 120P is nicer, IMO, than the 90P. Its got better dimensions. Its doesn't look too big and is not small. I went with the 90P because I had it and already owned the stand. Also, I live in an apt. and moving a 90P is already a pain in the butt. Once I get a house I will go bigger. The stand was built by a member on a freshwater forum and he did an excellent job. It looks just like the ADA stands only 700 bucks cheaper. :)

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck with that :), I hope you get it and post your build. Would love to see a 120P reef tank. The craftsmanship on those tanks are ridiculous.

Last edited:

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most definitely. if I do i'll definitely do a build thread. only issue is my jumping fish but i can diy a screen top.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most definitely. if I do i'll definitely do a build thread. only issue is my jumping fish but i can diy a screen top.

Yes, check out bulfreefsupply.com, they have a DIY screen top video. They also sell the 1/4 clear netting that allows light to penetrate into the tank. Good luck and hope you get it.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup! I look forward to seeing more of your tank.

Thanks Trig, I will try and get more pics tomorrow.

Awesome setup. Love the lamp! Were did you got that biopellets reactor?

Thanks Sam, I really like the lamp too. Its really easy to upgrade if Vertex decides to come out with new leds. I know they released the red spectrum led light and their is talks about a violet led with red but I dont know when it will be released.

I bought that reactor at reefapalooza in the cpr booth. Was told it was a prototype being built by Ameka aquatics. So...you can order it through Ameka Aquatics, here Ameka Aquatics. I liked it so much I ordered another. Its about 50 bucks and comes with pump.

Oh, by the way, I really like your tank as well. Very clean looking tank. I was going to post just have not got to it.

Last edited:

jaysauce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow with the eheim 1250? Would you rather go with an eheim 1260? I have a tank similar to this size and have a eheim 1250 but am wondering if I should go with the 1260 before I set it up.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow with the eheim 1250? Would you rather go with an eheim 1260? I have a tank similar to this size and have a eheim 1250 but am wondering if I should go with the 1260 before I set it up.

jaysauce, the flow in my tank is pretty weak with the 1250. Its use is to just return water to the tank. I would say don't expect it to blast water into your tank. The tunze 6025 and MP40Wes provide the flow for the sps. I knew this before setting it up but I already had the 1250. If I did not have the 1250, I would have probably gone with the 1260. Hope this helps. :)

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job on the setup! ADA's are beautifully made tanks. I especially like your pics of the Potter's- makes me want to trade in my CB! :)

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job on the setup! ADA's are beautifully made tanks. I especially like your pics of the Potter's- makes me want to trade in my CB! :)

Thanks Akwarius. :)

The potters has been a real blessing to the tank. He is constantly eating my hair algae. I had a previous potters and it didn't really eat the hair algae. This one is always eating algae off the rock and is pooping green constantly.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Month Update

Sorry for lagging on the updates, I've been real busy at work and the grave yard shift really wears me out.

Here is what has happened since my last update...

-RIP Diamond Goby :( Basically wasted away despite eating mysis shrimp, will never buy another
-Added SPS Frags (pics below)
-Bought another Percula Clown
-Added a half dollar size yellow tang (Algae Control)
-Added tuxedo urchin for algae (Algae Control)
-Added 3 emerald crabs (Algae Control)
-Growing small specks of corralline algae
-Bought a Hanna Phosphate meter (0.03-0.05)
-Bought a Red Sea K+ Test kit (K+ within range 390ppm)
-Modded another CPR nano reactor to hold purigen

So, the bio pellets seemed to be working, nitrates are very low, but I am getting hair algae. I think my dry rock is leaching phosphates. Every time I test with the Hanna photometer I get 0.03-0.05 reading. I did add GFO to another CPR nano reactor but the corals got more light and the algae looked to still be growing. I have not had good success with BRS GFO. I have used ROWAphos before and it works much better imo. I may add ROWA later but not right now because the sps seemed to lighten with GFO.

To get rid of this algae I bought a small tang that I will eventually get rid of once it gets too big. Also, some corals look on the lighter side so I am going to add more fish eventually, prob. another wrasse or maybe anthias? Recommendations welcome. :)

I do want to say that I had to change the color of the leds in order to get decent pics. Its much harder to take pics with LEDS. I have to make my light look like a 10k bulb to get the true colors of corals. Otherwise they tend to looks too blue.

Pics taken with Nikon D70 and 105mm Micro Nikkor

FTS @ 2 months :)
DSC_0210-3.jpg

The LED lighting has surprised me. I have been running it at 20% white, 50% Royal Blue, and 50% Blue and I have managed to color up most of my sps. My montis have not done well but they seem to be getting better. I will soon run 30% white, 100% RB, and 100% Blue now that I have the Tang.

DSC_0191.jpg

First shot I took of the six line came out good. A Miracle. :)

DSC_0185-1.jpg

My clean up crew. Added 3 of these guys for hair algae control. I do want to add I am growing corralline now. Small tuxedo also added but no pic taken.

DSC_0170.jpg

My battered Tang saved from the LFS. Very skinny I am sure it will fatten up with all that hair algae. :)

DSC_0175-2.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

My fat Potters Angel. Eats the hair algae and everything I throw in the tank. She sure has thickened up. Thinking about adding a male, maybe they will breed.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New clown
DSC_0138-1.jpg

Existing Clown
DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0156-1.jpg

New Clownfish is smaller but beats up the larger clownfish.

Setosa macro
DSC_0025-2.jpg

Seems to be doing well under LEDs running at 50%. It has grown and extends polyps when I feed. Its more lighter (pinkish, thus my reason for looking to add more fish)

Lokani of some sort under bluer spectrum
DSC_0035-1.jpg

Same Lokani under 10K spectrum
DSC_0091.jpg

This sps is coloring back up. It has a green body with blue coloration. It had browned out a few weeks ago but is slowly recovering. I have not removed that corraline growth at top of tips in hopes that it spreads to my tank.

DSC_0093-1.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

This ponape birdsnest is on steroids. It literally grows every day. It has really colored up well at 50% LED intensity. When I bought it, it had slightly pink tips. I am sure it will get more pink tips as it gets bigger.

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Arrived brown but has colored up nice and pink and is growing rapidly.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

First shot is a pic of my pink stylophora at bluer spectrum, second is under 10K like spectrum. I am curious to see if its pink coloration increases when I run the LEDS at full strength.

DSC_0087.jpg

Brown Montipora Digitata...I thought I was going to lose this because it had polyps retracted for a really long time. They are now starting to show and the brown is slowly fading away. It did rtn a little at base so I am keeping a close eye.

Also, have a Monti Cap that is not doing well, its still not dead, but hopefully it recovers. I am having a hard time with montis. :(

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0235-3.jpg

DSC_0044-2.jpg

Bonsai or tricolor, not sure. These are not good pics, could not get accurate color pic. The tips are purple and the rest of the coral is light purple. I am hoping it colors up with dark purple.

DSC_0243-1.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Humilis Colony that came with acro crab. Its turned more of a green than yellow. I am sure once the tank stabilizes it will color up to more yellow.

DSC_0249-1.jpg

Brown Bonsai, waiting for this to color up, its been about 3 weeks.

DSC_0256-1.jpg

Red planet, lost its green sheen but is growing.

DSC_0260-1.jpg

Green cap, still fighting the algae, hopefully the tang helps it.

DSC_0186-2.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

Very bright purple encrusting monti. I recently got it, hopefully I have better luck with this one.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0239-1.jpg

Recent addition as well. When I got it I thought it was a rainbow granulosa now I am not sure. The body has a nice teal color while the tips turn blue then purple up at top.

Random Shots
DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

ajgiov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. Looking to do something custom to mimic it almost exactly. I hope you don't mind.
I'll be using a 40g breeder.

Can you please provide more info on the stand and sump?
The sump dimensions fit the inside dimensions of the stand very nicely.
I want the same room left over for my ATO reservoir or maybe a small chiller.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. Looking to do something custom to mimic it almost exactly. I hope you don't mind.
I'll be using a 40g breeder.

Can you please provide more info on the stand and sump?
The sump dimensions fit the inside dimensions of the stand very nicely.
I want the same room left over for my ATO reservoir or maybe a small chiller.

No problem, and I don't mind if you copy my setup. I am sure as much as you want to copy it will still be your own design. :)

Here are the dimensions for my sump, 24x14x14 1/4" thick acrylic sump/fuge/skimmer section

The stand is just a 40 breeder dimensions with a 28" height. It was made from 1/2" melamine white board and had formica on the outside.

Hope that helps. :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back