Adam_T's 55gal Reef Build

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so here we go...

I started off my build with a DIY stand that I built not too long ago. I used 3/4'' thick AC Plywood finished with 2 layers of Red Mahogany stain and 1 layer of Dark Walnut.

My Equipment consists of:

1-Koralia #3
1-Koralia #4
1-Dual HOB Power Filter (came with tank)
1-Marineland Magnum 350 Canister Filter
1-200 watt heater
and sadly, just the standard fluorescent lighting that came with the tank.

Within the month (before any type of coral and fish are added), I will be upgrading to the Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb T5 system for my lighting needs. I will also be adding a simple hang-on Protein Skimmer and replacing the HOB power filter with another Magnum 350 canister filter. Yes, I have heard that canister filters can house a lot of nitrates but they will be cleaned bi-weekly at the least to avoid this problem.

Just yesterday I bought roughly 100# of Live Rock from a member on another forum I belong to, to start my tank out with. Personally I think it is too much rock and I want to get rid of some but meh...

ON WITH THE PICS!

This was a picture of the rock before I purchased it. It was covered in Bubble Algae as well as Halimeda SP, but I took care of that outside of the tank and anything that is left will be taken care of by a clean up crew and some Emerald Crabs.

LR1.jpg

Here is a picture of the rock in my tank after I got everything nice and clean...

IMG_0183.jpg

Big difference I like to think! Anyway, here are some more pictures of my current build. No, this is not how I want my aquascape to look but with so much rock in a 55gal tank I didn't know what else to do to keep it stable for the time being (until I sell some of it. PM if you want some).

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

a nice piece covered in coralline algae that I picked up from Fintastic to seed the rest of the rock (picked up 3lbs actually)

IMG_0185.jpg

My full tank setup along with stand...

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

any pointers on a way to keep the powerheads from blowing the sand all to one side? haha

Anyway...I guess I will keep updating this thread as I move along!

Thanks for looking, this is my first SW tank/reef tank build and I hope it goes well!

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-scape! All the rock fits nicely now...

Sorry if any of the pictures I post are bad, I take them on my iPhone...

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

and some more...

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start Adam and great buy on the rock! Saved yourself some serious cash. I have a 55 as well. BTW: your stand is awesome.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good start - your second version of rockscape looks nice, but you may find that you end up removing a bit more rock as you add corals because unless you only buy frags on plugs many will have rock with them

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded my filteration from 1 Magnum 350 Canister Filter and 1 HOB Power Filter to 2 Magnum 350s now...woot! Keeping Carbon in one, and half Carbon half Phosphate control media in the other. No more loud HOB filter for me...yes!

Also, just upgraded to Current USA 48'' Sundial T5HO lighting. 4x54 watt with 4 lunars and built in timers :)

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand is killer, would look even more awesome with a rimless tank! Aquascape looks good too, nice caves!

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Just got my 2nd Magnum 350 Canister Filter up and running, so no more HOB Power Filter (yay). Also, just got my 48'' Sundial 4x54watt T5HO w/ Moonlights from Current USA installed. :)

Here are some pics of how the tank looks now. Sorry if they are a bit blurry, iPhone cameras aren't the greatest. Oh and you can see my little Nuclear Dragon Eye Zoa Colonies, my Green & Purple Star Polyps, my Kenya Tree and my Frogspawn in these pics!! They are coming along great!!

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0233-1.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

and a few more...a bit blurry trying to get close ups (sorry)

1st pic of some Zoas (have like 10 times this much in my entire tank)

2nd pic...not too sure. A bunch of mushrooms? Whatever they are I have 29 of them...

3rd pic...Green Star Polyp Frag

4th pic...Kenya Tree

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back