Add a sea hare?

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a bit of a hair algae problem, localized to 1 of the rocks in my display tank. Seems odd that my Mexican turbos, tuxedo urchin, or other CUC haven’t touched it. It’s just on that one rock for the most part.

Should I consider adding a sea hare to rid the tank of algae?

My phosphates are around 0.05 and nitrates are undetectable according to Salifert… I know the present algae is sucking up those at the moment.

I am unable to remove the rock as it is part of the foundational structure.

Thoughts? I would prefer not do use flucozonale unless I have to.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock in question. And the tuxedo urchin avoiding said rock.

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpeg
    IMG_5882.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 55

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my Sea Hare when I had it. An alternative solution (assuming nothing is attached to the rock with the algae) is to remove that rock, scrub it, and then treat it with flucanozole or Hydrogen Peroxide. Or start with a new rock entirely...

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my Sea Hare when I had it. An alternative solution (assuming nothing is attached to the rock with the algae) is to remove that rock, scrub it, and then treat it with flucanozole or Hydrogen Peroxide. Or start with a new rock entirely...
I would do this, however, it is a piece that holds up the rest of the rockwork, and it has 4 frags glued to it already.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails should also have the same desired affect as a sea hare and may be safer.
I have 5 in there now, 2 Mexican and 3 green speckled. None of them touch that rock, it’s quite strange. Any of the other rocks they do a nice job. Maybe too long (algae) for them?

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have 5 in there now, 2 Mexican and 3 green speckled. None of them touch that rock, it’s quite strange. Any of the other rocks they do a nice job. Maybe too long (algae) for them?
It almost looks like turf algae, which may be why they don't eat it. Hard to see with the blue lights.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
These pics may be a little better.
GHA tends to be long and flowy, turf algae is short, soft, and tough to pull and usually comes up in little round patches. There's a few things that will nibble on it but nothing that will devour it that I have found.

I tried lettuce nudibranchs, They just did not consume it fast enough. Fuzzy chitons I only got two but I noticed them nibbling on it for sure. I tried a couple different types of urchins and they didn't do much for it. I never try to see her though.

I ended up doing a micro dose of flux RX, it took about 10 days but it all started coming off and dying.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA tends to be long and flowy, turf algae is short, soft, and tough to pull and usually comes up in little round patches. There's a few things that will nibble on it but nothing that will devour it that I have found.

I tried lettuce nudibranchs, They just did not consume it fast enough. Fuzzy chitons I only got two but I noticed them nibbling on it for sure. I tried a couple different types of urchins and they didn't do much for it. I never try to see her though.

I ended up doing a micro dose of flux RX, it took about 10 days but it all started coming off and dying.
Seems like that is the route I’m gonna have to take. Any side effects from the flux RX? Seems like it’s very effective, don’t want it to have negative side effects after using.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Seems like that is the route I’m gonna have to take. Any side effects from the flux RX? Seems like it’s very effective, don’t want it to have negative side effects after using.
I have dosed it twice before, same as you got a frag in had a little bit on it I didn't get scraped off and it spread everywhere.

I had no side effects with it, and no problems afterwards. I only used 1/6 of the recommended dose. There's a great thread on here about microdosing it. It's very effective even at a low dose. It will take 7 to 10 days before you see the actual effects of it. Then the stuff just melts away.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed it twice before, same as you got a frag in had a little bit on it I didn't get scraped off and it spread everywhere.

I had no side effects with it, and no problems afterwards. I only used 1/6 of the recommended dose. There's a great thread on here about microdosing it. It's very effective even at a low dose. It will take 7 to 10 days before you see the actual effects of it. Then the stuff just melts away.
Nice. Assuming just do some large water changes once it melts away? Do you have a link to that thread?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having a bit of a hair algae problem, localized to 1 of the rocks in my display tank. Seems odd that my Mexican turbos, tuxedo urchin, or other CUC haven’t touched it. It’s just on that one rock for the most part.

Should I consider adding a sea hare to rid the tank of algae?

My phosphates are around 0.05 and nitrates are undetectable according to Salifert… I know the present algae is sucking up those at the moment.

I am unable to remove the rock as it is part of the foundational structure.

Thoughts? I would prefer not do use flucozonale unless I have to.
Before determining, please post pics under white lighting as it may be bryopsis - The reason CUC arent touching it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back