OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like bryopsis, but either way, Fluconzanole will eliminate it. Just watch your nitrates and phosphates, they may or may not rise.
Sounds good. Going to order it today and get to microdosing. From what I’ve read online about it, it seems like microdosing every couple months should just be added to the maintenance routine as a prevention.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sounds good. Going to order it today and get to microdosing. From what I’ve read online about it, it seems like microdosing every couple months should just be added to the maintenance routine as a prevention.
Once you get it under control you may not have to again, but you'll have it on hand if you ever need it again. In a year I have dosed twice, it came in on corals. I dose once and let it sit in the tank for 3 weeks before I do a water change. I dose All for Reef and everything remained stable during that time.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get it under control you may not have to again, but you'll have it on hand if you ever need it again. In a year I have dosed twice, it came in on corals. I dose once and let it sit in the tank for 3 weeks before I do a water change. I dose All for Reef and everything remained stable during that time.
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock in question. And the tuxedo urchin avoiding said rock.
Yes! I love my sea hare. I feed him supplemental nori weekly to make sure he has enough to eat but he keeps my tank very clean. I love these! Eat all kinds of algae that other fish wont touch. This is Frank

Attachments

• IMG_2844.jpeg
    IMG_2844.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I love my sea hare. I feed him supplemental nori weekly to make sure he has enough to eat but he keeps my tank very clean. I love these! Eat all kinds of algae that other fish wont touch. This is Frank
Frank is awesome! Have you had any issues with him getting near/ stuck on wavemakers?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Took this video with flash to try and make the video more white. Let me know what you think.
I dont think this is bryopsis which is thick and Fern-like and looks more like overgrown hair algae. Flux while sometimes works is an alternative and not a solution and can impact certain coral. Chemicals are not always the answer.
I would place rock in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think this is bryopsis which is thick and Fern-like and looks more like overgrown hair algae. Flux while sometimes works is an alternative and not a solution and can impact certain coral. Chemicals are not always the answer.
I would place rock in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
There are currently
- 4 astrea snails
- 2 Mexican turbos
- 4 green speckled turbos
- 3 trochus
- 10 blue legs
- 15 cerith
- 8 larger ceriths
- 1 tuxedo urchin
- 1 tiger conch

Using RODI water from LFS

Phosphate level last tested 0.05

Tank near window but blinds are closed.

What do you think of combination of manual removal and reef flux?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are currently
- 4 astrea snails
- 2 Mexican turbos
- 4 green speckled turbos
- 3 trochus
- 10 blue legs
- 15 cerith
- 8 larger ceriths
- 1 tuxedo urchin
- 1 tiger conch

Using RODI water from LFS

Phosphate level last tested 0.05

Tank near window but blinds are closed.

What do you think of combination of manual removal and reef flux?
My suspect why I asked again is the window. The power of uv is strong and will penetrate shades-blinds-curtains and even indirect lighting will cause this. Placing a sheet of black construction paper from walmart stationary section on side facing window will reduce this drastically

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspect why I asked again is the window. The power of uv is strong and will penetrate shades-blinds-curtains and even indirect lighting will cause this. Placing a sheet of black construction paper from walmart stationary section on side facing window will reduce this drastically
Interesting, didn’t think it would do that. That is the only rock in the tank that receives any sunlight at all when the shades are open too. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the rock tonight during my 10% water change. Gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush and got most of the algae off. Hopefully my clean up crew can finish the job now.

Attachments

• IMG_5891.jpeg
    IMG_5891.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5893.jpeg
    IMG_5893.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5894.jpeg
    IMG_5894.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 36

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back